Hair covers following surgery

• 6 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone, I had a craniotomy on Friday & have quite a large scar. It’s early days but looking for ideas on how to cover it up or hide it until my hair grows back.

my hair is short so wasn’t sure if a simple slice band would work! 

any advice would be appreciated 

• Hi Shellbell24

hope you are recovering well from your op. 

My experience of this is in supporting my husband who shaved his head regularly pre-craniotomy so his scar wasn't something he overly bothered about. Typical man! He was fascinated with the dissolving stitches though. His  hair grew back in quite quickly after his 6 weeks off treatment but it grew in much darker initially. So perhaps a slight colour change is something to be mindful off.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for disguising your scar in the short term. Have some fun with it. There's lots of lovely soft colourful headbands and scarves available or as we move away from summer, there are beanies too. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. 

This is a safe and supportive space so I am pretty confident that some of the others will be along shortly with their suggestions.

Sending you healing love and light and hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi   thank you for responding. The op went really well thanks, glad it’s all over! 

I don’t think I’m ready to shave my head, much easier options for men! I wish mine were dissolvable, they’re huge staples although I’m also quite fascinated by them.

ill watch out for the different hair colour, strange how your body reacts to things. I’ll just be glad when it grows enough to cover it. 

winter will be easy with beanies, just need to find something whilst it’s still nice! 

hope your husband is doing well xx

•  I wasn’t ready to shave my head 

bought bucket hats and then MacMillan office in hospital had some lovely head coverings for sale

i wore a band after my op but the radiotherapy does make more hair loss of a bigger area 

I now have a fabulous wig too courtesy of MacMillan 

1. will try and attach some photos 
  •  I wasn’t ready to shave my head 

bought bucket hats and then MacMillan office in hospital had some lovely head coverings for sale

i wore a band after my op but the radiotherapy does make more hair loss of a bigger area 

I now have a fabulous wig too courtesy of MacMillan 

will try and attach some photos 

• Hi   I lost most of my hair with chemo for my breast cancer & had scarves & wigs. Hair was growing back nicely until this op! I’m really fortunate that I won’t need more chemo or radiotherapy so it’s just a case of covering the scar til the hair grows. 

your wig looks amazing, wouldn’t know it wasn’t your real hair! 

I will keep looking for ways to cover this to get through the summer! 

hope you’re recovering well xx