Menopause / HRT & Brain Cancer

• 6 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hello,

Advice / experience? 

I’m in discussions with my oncologist, Doc and epilepsy consultant but just wondered if anytime can offer wider advice / experience of taking HRT. I was diagnosed with a rare inoperable glioblastoma 18 months ago. I have had radio and chemo and am currently ‘stable’. I also - helpfully - am going through menopause. I’m considering what to do and thought I’d ask here for advice from people that might have been on a similar journey to me.

Thanks! 
x

• Hi Green tea

how strange! I’m going through something very similar! I’ve got an oligodendroglioma which is inoperable too. I’ve been to my GP who did a couple of blood tests, I’ve tried getting advice online. No-one seems to know anything!? Frustrating!

I feel your pain! I’m fed up of hot flushes and unexplained anger….I’ve started with itchy feet too! 

please let me know if you have found any other advice! 

x

• Ah sorry you’re going through it too. I will let you know more. It’s hard knowing whether it’s “worth the risk” or if it “would be silly not to!”

• Hi Green Tea

a warm welcome...oh good question!  

I'm supporting my husband through his GBM journey so can't comment on the compatibility of HRT in regards to this. Your oncologist is the best person to advise here as they have all your history.

I'm personally going through menopause and have been trying various more natural remedies rather than HRT. Black Cohosh has been particularly good but again I would suggest talking to your oncologist before taking any natural supplements just to be on the safe side.

This is a safe and supportive space as you've already seen so I am sure others with be along with their words of wisdom shortly. You could also ask via the Ask An Expert option within the online community.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks so much for your response. I’d read about black cohash. I’m due a catch up with my oncologist this week so will chat to her about it all. Thank you xx

• So sorry you’re going through it too. X

My oncology consultant has advised me that it should be ok though there’s an increased risk of clotting (of course…) and my GP is going to help me find the right approach. 

I’ve just finished reading Louise Watson’s “Preparing for the Perimenopause and Menopause” and am currently reading Davina’s “Menopausing”. It’s mad as I thought so many of the symptoms were related to my illness and treatment but actually menopause is playing a big part. The itching and hot flushes and for me breast and nipple pain have been awful and embarrassing and depressing. Davina’s book is reassuring to read though I’m not far in yet.

The clot thing is scary but I just want to live my best life for as long as possible so I think I’ll try it out (with full advice and supervision!).

I hope you get some good advice x