Relieved after misdiagnosis

• 1 reply
  • 34 subscribers

Hi all,

I have brain cancer, there’s no getting past that. 
However, what was initially diagnosed as a GBM4, was, after 9 years, rediagnosed as an AO3 which, though still terminal, gives plenty of years ahead of me. 
I was diagnosed back in December 2012 and have been medically retired since then and, although I am 56, my 72 year old wife is, as you can imagine, retired. Only I can drive as my other half never learned to and, since a recurrence two and a half years ago, I had to hand my driving licence back and have only recently reapplied for it again - this also happened when I was first diagnosed with a brain tumour, but I had no problem with getting it back then. 
Has anybody had similar issues and how did you overcome them? I’m not asking for a panacea or anything, just advice on how you might have coped with your illness.

Yours with thanks,

Stuart 

• Hi Stewpot127

A warm welcome. Sounds like your diagnosis has all been a bit of a nightmare

I'm supporting my husband through his GBM journey so haven't had the experience of a mis-diagnosis on that front. 

This is a safe and supportive community so I am confident that one of the other members will be along shortly to share their experiences with you.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Good luck with getting your driving licence back. Driving and his beloved BMW which had to be sold  are two things my husband really misses. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm