Care/Help

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 33 subscribers

Hi all,

this is my first time posting. My partner found out his dad ( age 56)  had a stage 4 terminal brain tumour back in Feb. He had an op which he recovered well from. He then had an intense course of radiotherapy during early months of lockdown, again went well. He was initially told that he wasn’t going to have chemo as it wouldn’t really help all that much. But following on from A recent MRI scan he’s today starting chemo ( TMZ )

He lives on his own, he isn’t very social. And he has always been a negative person. I don’t mean to sound harsh just letting you know the facts. Since hearing he’s having chemo he has started losing his appetite ( I’m guessing it’s the worry of it all) and he wants to spend less time at home. 

As a family everybody is trying their best. I was just wondering what others have done in similar situations to make their relative feel more at ease at also regarding living situations? Have people moved their relative in or had additional help from carers when needed? 

We all just want to the best we can for him 

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your partner's dad has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour and it's natural that you want to do all you can to help him.

I haven't been in your position, as I was the one with cancer, but I think the answer to your question is that you see what your partner's dad wants to do regarding where he lives. For example, he might value his independence and want to stay living on his own or he might feel that he can no longer manage to live on his own and would rather live with another member of his family.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you join the family and friends group as it's a great place to share your worries and ask this sort of question. 

If you'd like to join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You might also find that looking through this information from Macmillan on supporting someone with cancer useful.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your father-in-law's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending a supportive ((hug))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"