Low grade glioma in temporal lobe

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi everyone. 

I’m scared, I am 33 years old and recently been unwell. When I was taken into hospital they did a CT scan and found a lesion on my temporal lobe. They first thought I had a mini stroke so admitted me to the ward. 
the neurology consultant came to see me the next day and said it wasn’t a mini stroke and he thought it was a cyst. I then had an MRI and this was sent off to a different team of neurologists at a different hospital. 
I visited my Gp yesterday who told me they had put this down as a low grade glioma. They have asked me to repeat a scan in 6 weeks and referred me to a clinic. 
I am petrified, I have 2 young children and I am thinking the worse. 

I’m not sure why I am writing this post, I needed to get it off my chest and maybe speak to others that are going through the same thing. 

Is anyone going through the same? 
any advice on how not to let this take over my thoughts and everyday life until I get to the appointment and repeat scan? 

• HI Bebemouse

a warm welcome to the online community. having read your post I want to reach out and give you a huge virtual hug. Not knowing what's going on is a thousand times scarier than knowing. Being scared is allowed.

This is a safe and supportive space and there's always someone around to listen who gets it (sorry I never picked this up sooner), someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug. You're not alone. We've got you.

My personal experience lies in supporting my late husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey (I'll not bore you with the tale but you can read the gist of it in my bio) 

I'm not big on giving advice but I would suggest that you stay well away from Dr Google. He's a scary dude. Focus on the facts that you have been given that are relevant to you. Everyone's journey is unique. Articles online tend to be based on averages and no one is average. Ahead of your appointment with the clinic Can I suggest that you write down all your questions, fears/concerns and take those notes to the appointment, Use them like a script. They will help to keep you focused and make sure you don't forget to ask about something that is important to you. There's no such thing as a silly question here.

There's some general guidance on gliomas on the main body of the website. Here's the link Glioma brain tumour | Macmillan Cancer Support

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• That’s how mine all started. Said a acronoid cyst but I went private as the wait was too long especially with the seizures I was having. Made a blog on here of my story so far