4 week breaks

• 4 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed with grade 4 gliomas astrocytoma. All very shocking and things have happened very quickly. I had two tumours and one and a half have been removed. I start radiotherapy and chemotherapy next week. My cycle is 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off. I’m 46, female, mum of 3 with no other health issues and live a healthy lifestyle. 

My question is how do you feel in the 4 week breaks?  Better or worse? We have a UK holiday booked in July and I’m hoping I’ll be feeling well enough to go?

Thank you for reading

• HI SMcD

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about all you are going through. 

My late husband was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma in Sept 2020 and had 6 weeks of radiotherapy and oral chemo after his surgery. he coped really well with it and the worst side effect was fatigue which kicked in about week 4. He declined all further offers of treatment after. He was offered oral chemo (TMZ) at a higher dose -one week on , three weeks off- rather than the cycle you mention.

This is a safe and supportive space so I'm sure some of the others will be along shortly with their words of wisdom. There's always someone about to listen who gets it so please reach out here anytime. You're not alone. We've got you.

A holiday sounds great. Speak to your medical team nearer the time and if you do feel rough with the treatment I'm sure they can tweak it so that you can enjoy your trip.

For now I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I never felt too bad on the temezolomide TMZ. I had 6 weeks rotation. I had anti sickles tablets and the dickies want to bad and only lasted a few days. I’m now on Lomustine as the other FOR ME want slowing my grade three, I feel weaker and midway sickness as I think it hits my immune. Everyone I imagine has different chemos and different treatments. So no one can really say they are like you on your journey. But yes from my experience the chemo hasn’t hit me too hard. But I’m always tired anyway and weak on my left ( I still try and go for walks when I feel like it’s a good day)

i’m doing a blog on mine so I can remember what’s been and how I’ve felt. Read away if it helps

• Hi SMcD, 

I completed the first 6 week cycle, and I'm currently on week four of my break. My next treatment cycle starts on this coming Friday. 

Apart from still being fatigued the first week or so, I've felt okay, but everybody is different. I think the holiday will definitely benefit you. Go and enjoy the break before anymore treatment. 

X

• Hi SMcD,

I had a single cycle of 6 weeks of radiotherapy and oral chemo (TMZ) back in Jan 2018, follow by 6 cycles of chemo (PCV) until early 2019.

From my experience, the radiotherapy with oral chemo was relatively easy, and I didn't feel too much side effects from it, I just felt a bit sick when travelling on the bus. So I think you should be fine.