What to expect from first oncology appt

• 2 replies
  • 21 subscribers

I have an upcoming oncology appt (originally 14th dec, has since been rearranged twice). Becoming more and more anxious and don't know what ton expect or discuss during the appt?
I have grade 2 oligodendroglioma and post surgery nearly 11 weeks.

Many thanks

• Hi

It's only natural to feel anxious. I can only speak from the experience of supporting my late  with his stage 4 glioblastoma journey but I suspect the appointments themselves follow a similar structure. The oncologist should show you your scan images and talk you through what was done in surgery and what the pathology was of the tumour that they removed. If treatment is required I would expect them to outline that plan and what you can expect to experience during it. 

These guys are the experts and they will take you by the hand through everything. If possible I would suggest you take someone with you as it is all too easy to feel overwhelmed. A second set of ears is always a good thing. Ahead of the appointment can i suggest that you write down any questions, fears/concerns that you may have and take those notes with you. On the day they can act as a script to make sure you don't forget to ask something that's important to you. There's no such thing as a silly question so don't be afraid to ask anything.

This is a safe and supportive space so I'm sure some of the others will be along shortly to offer you their words of wisdom.

Above all try to stay calm on the day and remember to breathe. You've got this.

sending healing love and light and hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello

I  have Oligodendroglioma grade 3. I had my surgery  on 21st February this year. I first met my oncologist in April. My husband came with me to help me remember details and ask questions. My daughters wanted to tag along but I declined their offer.

When I met the doctor I was immediately reassured. She was so calm and caring and easy to talk to. I asked her if I could record on my phone the consultation so that my daughters could listen for themselves. She was more than happy to agree. It was a great success. I found it helpful because I could listen to it back to clarify some details and my daughters were extremely impressed with her.  It made them feel their mum was in good hands.

The consultant explained in detail the treatment I would be having and I had ample opportunity to ask questions. Of course I had been nervous about starting the next stages of my treatment but wanFingers crossed tone2to get on with it. My cancer isn’t curable but needed treatment to keep it at bay Fingers crossed tone2

The plan was to have 33 days of radiotherapy, followed by a 4 week rest and then 6 cycles of PVC chemotherapy. I have completed the radiotherapy and I’m half way through my chemo. During my radiotherapy I saw the consultant every week which I found really helpful and during chemo I see her every six weeks. It hasn’t been as bad as I thought it was going to be. Mainly fatigue and loss of appetite and a bit of hair loss. Latest scan looks good.