Alternative medicine to help grade 3 Oligodendroglioma

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, A close family member is just about to start treatment, for a grade 3 Oligodendroglioma. they will be having surgery, chemo and radiotherapy, but just wondered what else we could do to try and help. I have read a bit about CBD and turkey tail. Can anyone advise on what they have done or what might be good to try, and where they got it from.

thanks in advance 

• HI Star36

a warm welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about your family member's diagnosis. Life's too cruel.

It's fantastic that you are showing such support for them here. It really helps having folk in your corner.

This is a safe and supportive space so I'm fairly sure others will be along shortly to share their words of wisdom. 

I've been supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey since his diagnosis in Sept 2020. I'm not big on giving out advice as everyone's journey is different but I would add a few words of caution around trying alternative treatments - please check with the medical team first.  The last thing you want to do is risk compromising the effectiveness of the treatment plan by trying alternatives.

I don't mean to sound as though I'm bursting your bubble but alternative remedies can impact the effectiveness of conventional ones. Its best to ensure that you are open and honest with the CNS and medical team about any plans to trial things to double check that its ok to do so.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much for your reply, and yes that is a really good point - certainly would not want it to make the conventional treatment less effective. I think I will get them to suggest some ideas to her consultant and see what they say. 

It really is such a cruel illness- but support groups like this are amazing and so needed x x