Tumour detected?

• 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

Hi, 

I hope its okay to post here. Please tell me to leave if not appropriate.

I went to the doctors recently due to some uncomfortable symptoms. One being a new headache that only occurred at night time during sleep. My doctor sent me for a CT scan which was done. Only a week later I was called saying I need to go back in for an MRI. It was a pituitary MRI with and without contrast. I was back in for the MRI just 6 days after my CT scan. They are rushing it all through within the two week timescale. My theory is: they have seen a tumour during the CT scan?? I'm assuming it's near the pituitary gland?? As this was the focused area on the MRI. First of all the tumour must be large in order for it to be seen on the CT? And why the pituitary area?? I have no related symptoms and I'm shocked. Please help me understand. Much love and light x

• HI Lazuli

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all that you are going through. Not knowing is far scarier than knowing but it sounds as though your medical team are being thorough.

Tumours don't need to be large to be picked up on either CT or MRI images. These imaging machines can pick up teeny tiny things as well as the bigger issues so please try to not to panic. Focus on the facts and not the what ifs here and stay away from Dr Google. Also remember that not all tumours are nasty. Some are benign and only require monitoring rather than treatment.

I've taken the liberty of looking up some info on the main website for you that might help put your mind at ease a little here

Diagnosis | Macmillan Cancer Support

You haven't said when your next appointment is but can I suggest that you write down all your questions/fears/concerns and take those notes to the appointment. Use them as script to keep you on track. It might also be an idea to take someone with you, if that's allowed in your areas, as these early appointments can be a bit overwhelming.

Please reach out here anytime. This is a safe supportive space and there's always someone here to listen, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone, 

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

There is also an Ask the Expert section of the online community that you can contact.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay calm. Stay positive and focus on what you know as fact. 

love n hugs

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm