Alternative treatment

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

A friend who is over 60 has been diagnosed with a small brain tumour recently. After a full body scan they have found spots in lungs, liver and spine. The oncologist is due to visit them today. My question is how serious is it and what treatment will be offered? Are there any alternative treatments as well as the usual? Can it be cured at this stage? Thanks

• Hi Stevey

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about what your friend is going through. Scary times.

I understand your concerns and the questions you ask are totally valid but without knowing the official diagnosis it's impossible to say how serious things are. There are thousands of different types of tumours with different prognosis. Everyone is unique so no one diagnosis fits all.

Scary as it is, please wait until your friend has a formal detailed diagnosis. Avoid Dr Google- he's a scary dude!

Different tumours need different treatment and that's tailored to the individual. Remember too not all tumours are malignant (nasty) and not all need treatment.

There's a wealth of information on the main website around how to support someone who has had a cancer diagnosis. Here's the link

Supporting someone | Macmillan Cancer Support

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Hope this has helped. Stay positive.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi 

sorry to hear about your friend - I’m assuming they have now seen the oncologist 

to be honest sounds serious but it really depends on the tumours 

I have a brain tumour and can’t really comment on the other tumours as I don’t know but my tumour is on the brain stem so can’t be operated on so it can’t be cured

when I was 13 I had a different brain tumour that was lower down and this could be treated with surgery 

The oncologist will be able to tell from the scan