Dad's surgery and following treatment

• 2 replies
  • 18 subscribers

My dad was diagnosed back in August with a suspected glioma in his left parietal lobe. He had been having seizures and a MRI confirmed. Things moved very quickly for treatment and he's home recovering from surgery which was estimated to have removed more than 90%.

He's awaiting biopsy results now and then will start a radiotherapy/chemotherapy treatment plan shortly after.

I was just wondering what the purpose of this treatment actually is at this stage? I realise the long term prognosis is not good but is it aimed at reducing the amount of remaining tumor or slowing the growth down? I understand that they can't remove all of it either way.

He's 66 and otherwise in good health. Once the seizures were controlled with meds he had no other symptoms before his surgery. If anyone can offer me any glimmers of positivity from anyone who's been in a similar position that would also really help!

Thanks

• HI allymonty

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis.

My husband was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour (Glioblastoma) in Sept 2020 and he too had surgery to debulk the tumour followed by 6 weeks of oral chemo (TMZ) and radiotherapy in combination. He coped really well and had no major side effects from the treatment other than fatigue about 4 weeks in that lasted for about a month afterwards. Initially his CNS gave him strong anti-sickness pills to take for the first few days whether he felt sick or not and then he had other weaker stuff that he could take if needed but he never needed it. I've looked up some info for you that will explain it better than me

Chemotherapy - types of chemotherapy and how it is given | Macmillan Cancer Support

Radiotherapy explained | Macmillan Cancer Support

My husband was 50 when he was diagnosed and initially we were told he has 12-15 months. Those 15 months "expired" in Nov 2021. He declined all offers of further treatment in Jan 2021. Physically he's still incredibly fit. He always was a marathon runner and continues to run almost daily. He ran the London marathon last month in 3:33:34. His symptoms are all cognitive. His tumour (now tumours since the discovered a second one last month) is in the area of the brain the controls speech/language and understanding. This has left dementia like symptoms. Ask him to run 26 miles and off he'll trot, ask him to read this message or go into the kitchen to make a tea and a coffee and he can't do it. It's cruel and its bizarre. But 26 months down the line, he's still here.

Everyone is different. Each tumour unique. I've come to accept that the doctor's timescales etc are based on best guesstimates based on published averages. 

This group is a really safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Please also make sure that you take care of yourself here. Taking "me time" isn't selfish. Its essential to help you keep those wee batteries charged. This is an emotional roller coaster ride.

I hope some of this has helped.

For now, I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay positive. Stay strong. Remember to breathe.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi,

Wow! Many thanks for that reply, that's honestly really helpful. It's nice to just hear someone else's story and understand how it's been for them. I'll take a look at those links re: treatment, they look like what I was after.

Hope your husband continues to be strong and enjoy his running, it's nice to hear that he is still able to do something that he loved.

Best,

Allymonty