Scared of brain tumour symptoms

• 15 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi I am having a mri in three weeks to rule out brain tumour before being sent off for physio for my neck. But have intense headaches and pressure on top on head and all round mu head. I am terrified of that I have a brain tumor. I know no one can say weather I have one or not. I think I have a googled soo much and freaked myself out. I banged my brake recently so hoping it due to neck.

• Hi Ro12. I’m sorry you are experiencing such turmoil at the moment. Unfortunately the waiting game is one of the toughest that we have to sometimes play.

The only advice I can really give is to perhaps try and not look too far ahead. Try to take one day at a time until your planned scan. Also, I know this is a difficult one, but try and steer clear of googling symptoms. The thing with doing that is that you’ll always find the bad stuff whether you look for it or not. It’s certainly something I have actively avoided since my partners tumour was discovered. I understand that it’s difficult not to look, as ultimately we all just want to know, or try to figure out what’s going on.

I wish you all the best with your diagnosis and any potential treatment. There’s always friendly and helpful support here on the forums from all the members.

• Thank you I just keep thinking I have no seizure etc Or any brain tumour stuff just a very bad neck and headaches. I just have to stop googling stories as I keeping reading I only had a headache and now I am dying etc

• As I said, although I understand that it’s difficult not to, professor google isn’t always your friend. Try and keep thinking positive thoughts and take things a day at a time.

It’s also worth remembering that if you need someone to talk to outwith your own circle, Macmillan run both a helpline and an online chat facility through the website.  Sometimes that can help a great deal with perspective and helping to understand what’s going on. 

Keep well. 

• HI Ro12

a warm welcome to the community. I can empathise with your fears but as BearedBoarder has already advised, try not to look too far ahead. Take this one step at a time and focus on the known facts not the what ifs. Easier said than done I know. And please avoid Dr Google - he's a scary dude so no wonder that's freaking you out.

As you've already seen this is a safe and supportive space so please reach out anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it. You're not alone here.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Stay strong. Stay positive. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much, really appreciate  it. Yes trying to focus on whats happening and its just neck pain and headaches and someone did day neck pain isn't one of the signs and also brain tumors are rare not common. 

I just have a terrible health anxiety, I think its the pressure around my head that worrying me the most. 

But thank you so very much. 

• Hi 

I’m sorry to hear about your symptoms 

I have a brain tumour but had no symptoms - so no headache etc

from my experience brain tumours are tricky and can only be found with a scan

google is also terrifying when it comes to brain tumours, so my only advice is to not look

it looks like you have a couple of weeks left until your scan, have you ever had an MRI before? If you haven’t, just a warning that it can be very claustrophobic and loud and it does freak a lot of people out. I am used to them now, but when I have warned people about them in the past they thought I was exaggerating. 

• Sorry to hear about your diagnosis 

I totally agree google is scary do best to stay away!!!!

I had a mri last year and I totally freaked out, it was hot,  noisy and claustrophobic. I had a meltdown, screaming to the staff to get me out , I couldn’t breathe. I didn’t even last 20 seconds- it was so scary.

Try to relax and don’t over think too much

stay strong

• Hi, I hope you are ok, and didn't suffer too much. 

Thank you taking the time to reply to me 

Sophie 

• I hope you had a good outcome, and they did not find a tumor. 

Thank you for replying to me. 

Sophie.

• No I ended up with a ct and no tumour was found thankfully, it was my dear brother lost his life to gbm in July 

stay strong and positive