Terminal brain glioma

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with an advanced brain glioma after suffering multiple seizures and scans as they thought it was a huge stroke, we have been given a prognosis of 3 months without treatment and with treatment 12 months plus. He is 72 years old, he's coping very well with radiotherapy and chemotherapy no side effects at present he's been having these treatments for 6 weeks now. I have given up work to care for him full time as he has left side weakness, I'm struggling with the issue of him losing weight he's lost 3 stone in 2 months is this normal? He's eating very well so not sure if its due to his treatment maybe? Any advice would be appreciated, thsnks

• Hello Paulreds

Welcome to the forum, though I know that this really is one place you would prefer not to be. I understand how difficult it is to be the partner of a loved one who has received a terminal diagnosis, and although my husband has a different cancer to yours, his prognosis was pretty much the same. I am very sorry to read of your husbands diagnosis and prognosis, but it is important to remember that a prognosis is a best guess only, and many surpass their prognosis by a considerable amount of months if not years. 

My husband initially lost quite a few stone in weight, though he had very little negative reaction to the chemotherapy, (this is on-going 11 months later) so I think that weight-loss is often a first sign, once the diagnosis has been given, this could be stress or anxiety (even if it is underlying) alternatively of course, it could be something else, and this is where his oncologist or cancer nurse may be the right people to ask?

I am sorry that I can not answer you specifically regarding your Husbands cancer type, but I am sure others will be along here shortly who may be able to share their experiences.

I am not sure if you have looked at any of the following forums, which may be of interest and support to you.

Carers only  a great place to openly talk about your own thoughts and fears

Family and Friends  a place to meet others who have loved ones with a cancer diagnosis.

Supporting someone with incurable cancer as much as this is a difficult forum, it is where people understand the full difficulties of what we are coping with (or trying to cope with) on a daily basis.

So far, and hopefully for some time, your husband will continue to do well, continue to have little or no side effects to his treatment and will also, soon start to replace the weight he has lost, as my husband, thankfully has managed to do.

Thinking of you both

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!