Side effects after treatment

• 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

first time I’ve got involved in a group chat. 

I hava anoplastic astrocytoma diagnosed December 2017. Have had  brain surgery, Radiotherapy  and 7 month of TMZ. 

My question is are others struggling with side effects - fatigue - epilepsy - head pressure (being looked into). I very rarely get a day when I feel good.  

I eat well, try to go for regular walks and drink plenty of water. Take vitamins etc to help.  

Has anyone got any tips - feeling the same?

many thanks

Claire

• Hello Claire,

Epilepsy is very hard to determine, you may get a small knock on your head and that then goes to develop epilepsy. Imagine with the damage caused by the cancer, the surgery and radiotherapy. You may need to start or change your epilepsy meds and doses if the epilepsies are bothersome. I have decided to live with mine, however I too will at some stage go back on to the anti-seizure meds.

Head pressure : not sure if this is what I also have. Mine developed after last surgery where they cut into the ventricle, let the brain/spinal  fluid out, this seems to have upset the balance between blood pressure and brain pressure. In the beginning it was severe, I could only be in the upright position, could not tilt my head forward or back. My eyes also got affected and the headaches of course. After 3 years it has got better but not completely gone. No one ever bothered to listen to me seriously about this head pressure, I just got blank stares. i did not try asking too many doctors also is true, I just dealt with it.

Fatigue: could this be the radiotherapy? Was it whole brain or was it focused? It depends which areas of the brain the x-rays went through and how much of. It may also be the blood marrow even though 2 years out of your chemo - got your bloods checked? Also anaemia, low iron maybe?

Regular walks is great, at least it means you are strong enough to walk unaided. This can only be a good sign.

keep well

akis