Lung cancer with secondary brain tumour

• 3 replies
  • 18 subscribers

I am writing this as my husband was diagnosed two years ago with stage 3 lung cancer , he went through all the therapy successfully with the tumour now dormant in the lung however having had problems with balance and coordination he was admitted to hospital where a tumour on the brain was diagnosed.

we were absolutely devastated, he goes in for surgery on Wednesday with a probable follow up of radiotherapy  

I am looking to hear from anyone that has had the tumour removed , I can’t believe it’s only an overnight stay in hospital , what was your recovery like , 

from a careers point of view is there anything I should know 

i am so anxious that this is the end of the road , any advice or information would be so useful 

thank you 

Fran

• Hi Fran

This must be a very worrying time for you and your family, especially since you've already been through something similar. 

My brain tumour is primary and I'm not sure how the treatment compares for primary and secondary. By that, I mean that I had an awake craniotomy, yes, you get to talk to the surgeon during the surgery. Not all surgeries are like that, so I'll not go into details.  

When I found out that I would be admitted on a Tuesday, have surgery while awake the next day and go home by the weekend I was a bit shocked. However, it went smoothly. I could have left on the Friday but as I live 250 miles from the hospital I stayed until the Sat and we got the train home. I can honestly say it was not very painful - for pain/discomfort I had paracetamol and codeine. Just like any other surgery the op site was tender for a couple of days and I was sleepy for a few more days. If I was tired I slept and didn't fight it but within a week the worst of it had passed. 

My original op was over 5 years ago. I've had a recurrence so had further surgery a couple of years ago. Still here, still going. Yes there have been some changes to our lives but we take it as it comes and look forward to what we/I can do, not what we can't. 

If you have an questions please get in touch and I'll do my best to answer (though I don't know if we have the same type of tumour).(You used to be able to set up a 'friends' link for private conversations, not sure how to do it since site change).

Good luck and best wishes

T

• Hi Tracy, thank you so much for getting back to me, Garry had his tumour removed successfully on Wednesday and was home yesterday 

so far so good it’s unbelievable how quickly you recover from the surgery .

hope you are keeping well

fran

• Hi Fran

I'm pleased to hear is went well. Everyone always seems surprised that you can be home so quickly after an op on the brain but its great that you can. 

Wishing Garry and yourself a swift return to normality. 

Get in touch again if you feel you need too. In the meantime stay safe and well.

Best wishes

T