Mum has a brain tumour, struggling to cope with news

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi,

I'm 21 and my mum was recently diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumour. She is due to start chemo and radiotherapy soon. My parents found out at the last appointment a week ago (i was then at university) that the prognosis is not good, we're told average is maybe only 1 year life expectancy from here.

Am struggling to cope with this diagnosis, as I am terrified of my mum dying. Was wondering if anyone had any useful coping mechanisms, perhaps ways to talk about it with my mum etc. We are trying to find the right balance between not just focussing on the cancer, but also not wanting to ignore it completely as i think it is important for us to be open.

Thanks xx

• Sorry to hear your sad news, my daughter was also 21 when her mum had a grade 4. to be honest it is not easy and she continued to struggle and come to terms with it.  All i can say is try your best to be there for your mother even though it tears you apart on the inside. Easier said than done i know. but your mum will appreciate the time you spend together. It will be very tough but as they say stay strong.

REgards Mario Mark

• Hello there, I'm so sorry that you're going through this. My children were 17 and 20 when their dad had a GBM4. They are now 20 and 23 and doing OK, both at uni (but home now of course with the current situation). They were not able to discuss it all with their dad because sadly he lost the ability to communicate very early on, but they gave him a lot of love by reading to him, playing him their favourite music, watching TV together and so on. It sounds odd but at times we felt like a normal family doing normal stuff. If your mum wants to talk that is great, but don't worry if she would rather not because just being together will bring you great comfort. Do take time out when you need to - escape online with your friends and have some fun if you can. It's such a shame that we're in lockdown, my heart really goes out to you, but do what you can to get some 'me time' without feeling guilty. My daughter in particular was worried about having a laugh with her friends but it was an important safety valve, and today she looks back on that as part of her coping mechanism.

Hopefully your mum's treatment will go well - 1 year is just a statistic and people can do better than that.

I hope you have friends and/or family you can confide in if you want to. My kids chose not to talk a great deal to their friends, but they did talk to me and sometimes to support services such as helplines and hospice counselling service to get stuff off their chests. Sending you a hug across the ether. 

• Hi pudzle

I know what you are feeling, my dad was given 18 months and I found it so very hard to talk about it  so did he.  I came up with an idea to write to him, even though I seen him every day, I found saying the words out loud hurt.  Dad agreed as he felt the same.  Maybe you could ask your mum how she would feel about that? I just found it easier to write the words down.  I found once id given dad the letters that we could actually talk so much better and easier.  It really helped me and him and we grew closer because we were able to communicate everything.  I also know now that i told him everything and have no regrets so its helped me massively.  Just an idea.  Sending love and hugs.

X

Keep buggering on