Not sure what to do.

• 11 replies
  • 178 subscribers

Hi everyone. Can I just say after reading some of your posts what a lovely lot you are. I joined the gallbladder group just over a year ago after a scare which was fortunately found to not be cancer but again a lovely group of kind caring people.

i think I probably know the answer but I wanted to run it by you all to see what everyone thinks.

going back years I have struggled with IBD, I’m pretty sure I have been diagnosed with it. The normal for me is very stressed and all the symptoms of IBD, bloated etc. I’ve had a burning pain in the left side on and off for years and constipation. I have never had diarrhoea unless I’ve had a stomach bug.

we have had an awful seven years, it has been one awful thing after another and two months ago we lost our little shih tzu which has thrown me into a depression which I am slowly recovering from.

To add to my problems I managed to pull my back gardening a few weeks ago now. It was “a good tug “ that will take a good while to heal the physio said. So pain from that and the anxiety around my tummy but has settled again on the left side. 

I regularly keep an eye on my poop because a, I stress about every health issue possible and b my dad had bowel cancer diagnosed, I always used to think it was possibly the amount of medication he had to take for his heart condition. This was 1980s and his care was not the best he had been going to the doctor with rectal  bleeding and being told it was his piles. He wasn’t given and other treatment other then surgery and 7 years later they found secondary lung cancer.

I always do my fit test and have never had a positive result. 

Today I found two tiny, almost  not visible pink smears I would say not over 1 cm. Due to having the ibs symptoms hubby bought me a fit test from the pharmacy. I got an inconclusive result but wondered if it was because I do not go every day and had to do over four days not three. It could have been just how I did it maybe . It didn’t give the control and just spread the liquid as a block so I don’t think it worked at all. 

so finically my question… do I monitor and do another fit home test or go to my doctor? We are going away next week , the first time in years as our little dog was too poorly. The only thing which is making me worried is the pain on the left side but I have had it on and off for years. My stress level is through the roof at the moment just waiting for the next awful thing so I know my digestive system is a mess. I wondered if I self monitor and try some relaxation do another fit test see how it goes for a short time. About a year ago I went to the doctor with the bloating and pain they did a fit test and it was clear and I have had my through the post one as well.

• Hi Sid31

I am sorry to hear you have had such a lot going on. It is so hard when you lose a beloved pet on top of it all. 

My feeling is rather than worrying- about something that maybe nothing serious- give your GP a call on Monday. They can check you over and advise about doing another FIT test. It may well turn out to be nothing but if something is going on then it is better to know.

Perhaps if you contacted your GP for some reassurance, then you would be able to relax and enjoy your holiday more. 

If talking it through first would help, then please do give the Support Line a call. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the bowel board. I’m sorry you’re having such a tough time of things lately. The problem with stress is that it causes more symptoms and that then causes more stress and worry and it can easily spiral. 
    The fact that you’ve had 2 clear FIT tests in the last 12 months is a good sign and, like you say, it could well be related to your ibd especially if you err on the constipated side of things?

I think a week away is well deserved and you could monitor things at the same time (but try not to fixate on it) I’ve attached a link to a diary from the bowrl cancer uk board which you could complete and then, if you’re still worried, make an appointment with your doctor when you get back and take this with you? 

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/SymptomsDiary_BowelCancerUK_2024_Full_Colour.pdf

I’ve also attached a link to a post from another member which talks about dealing with stress and anxiety?

Controlling anxiety and panic

Hope you are to enjoy your holiday and please keep us posted?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you very much. Yes I think as you having a chat on the helpline would help enormously with the anxiety. I rang when I was going through the gallbladder situation and it really did help. Thank you  Jan

• Thank you that is exactly how I feel about the stress. We just don’t seem to have time to deal with one thing before another hits. That’s brilliant thank you so much I will take a look at both the links and sure they will help. Thank you. I will. Jan x

• Hi Sid and welcome to the board. It's a great place to be while you're going through all this and very kind and helpful people.

My brief history is - diagnosed with Colon cancer last October/November. Partial colon removal last December followed by 4 rounds of Capox chemotherapy. I've just had my first 3 monthly check-up after finishing chemo and everything is fine and clear.

But what struck me most in your story was your loss of your pet. We also lost our Shih Tzu, Mollie, a couple of months ago. She was the sweetest dog and coming up to 18 years old but she had become blind and deaf and had arthritis. She was only tiny - the "runt" of the litter - and, like a lot of the short muzzled breeds, suffered with restricted breathing due to her soft palate blocking her throat at times. Finally this became very frequent and she was so distressed by it we thought it kinder to have her put to sleep very reluctantly. It was a very hard decision but it would have been selfish of us to let her go on suffering.

We miss her terribly to this day and can understand your depression. So we try and remember her little ways and the pleasure she gave us rather than her suffering, which helps. It's almost inevitable that, if you have a pet, you will have to say goodbye to them at some point. So try and remember the love and comfort they gave you while you had them and be pleased that you gave them the best life you could while they were in your care.

I also hope you get to see your doctor and get something sorted about your pain and bloating.

• Hi Micromaster thank you for your reply. I’m so sorry to hear about Molly it’s the hardest goodbye ever isn’t it. We have Alfie’s sister Molly who is really struggling with his loss as well and was poorly over the weekend which I think is age related from what our vet said. Alfie was so so poorly.

In the last eight months and I am struggling to move from those memories to the happy times,  and there were so many. They are the most beautiful kind dogs aren’t they. 
    we just seem to go from one awful thing to another and feeling a bit beaten at the moment.

i had some more blood so went to my GP. I have taken in two samples and have full bloods tomorrow he is being very through. 

i, so,Pluto hear your treatment is going well and everything is fine and clear now it really does give me hope that if there is anything then I can have treatment with hope.

• You're absolutely right about the hardest goodbye and the nature of the Shih Tzu. We always said Mollie would do anything to try to please us.

Life can beat us about the head sometimes but you'll probably find that you can handle more than you think. At the same time I was diagnosed with colon cancer my wife was diagnosed with Leukaemia (CLL) so we were both backwards and forwards to the hospital on different days for our "chemo bags". She is also now doing well and finishes her course of chemo at the end of next month. But at that same time my wife lost 2 of her brothers and her ex-husband, all within a couple of weeks. It was an awful time and we just had to take everything a day at a time.

The chemo nurse's mantra was "Go with the flow". Enjoy and make the most of your good days and do what you can on the not so good days, but don't beat yourself up if you can't manage something. The dusting will still be there tomorrow!

On the subject of Mollie, we keep a couple of photos of her in our room to remind us of what a little character she was. That also helps to remember her positively.

Good luck with the tests and let us know the results when you get them.

• Oh my you certainly have been through it both of you. As you say sometimes when you think about it all you wonder how you get through but get through you do. This site is amazing the support and help from everyone is so wonderful and I’m so great full it’s like having everyone holding your had as we go through it.

we have a few pictures around and I have made a little shelf with Alfs ashes on and his paw print I say good morning every morning and hold his paw print.

we had a lady paint a portrait a few years ago and it’s where we pass all day every day. It’s so lovely to still see them isn’t it. 
    I really hope now you are both on the up and this will soon be just a memory. I keep thinking I must try and take care of myself and I think this time I am doing a little better. 

• Oh excellent! We "buried" Mollie's ashes in a plant pot in the garden (so we could take her with us if we ever moved) and sent for a little slate heart that we stuck in the top with a message on.

• Molly is gorgeous Dog what a lovely way to keep her close. Alfie is the brown boy and little Molly is the cream.