Wife's positive fit test

• 24 replies
  • 179 subscribers

My wife's fit test has come back.positive.  she has been referred and has a telephone consultation on Friday.   I know that the test result may be due to other things  rather than cancer.  My question is should she be offered a colonscopy procedure as standard?

• Hi Mick 28.12.22 welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear how worried that you are and little wonder its the not knowing which is the worst part of it all. Im imagining that the telephone consult will be a history gathering to determine whether to move to a Colonoscopy or not but if I was you I would be pushing for that as it is the only definitive way they can see first hand where any bleeding is coming from. Let us know how you get on and keep in touch, we are here as you need us to be. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• How was the positive FIT you just had reported to you?

Mine came as a letter and asked me to come to a physical meeting to discuss having a colonoscopy with a screening practitioner (a colorectal nurse), the normal expectation being, if I had no issues with going ahead, that a colonoscopy to provide a diagnosis would follow.

My letter was pretty explicit including the information that 9/10 positive FITs are not cancer.

Could they be doing a phone consultation instead where you are?

• Thanks for your reply. That's what I thought.  I'll let you know as matters progress.

• Thanks.for your repky. My wife's GP arranged the test and they advised on the results yesterday.  The referral was under thr 2 week rule and telephone consultation is tomorrow morning.  I had s fit test a while ago which was negative and the consultant rang and took some details and based on this advised my symptoms were due to IBS.  See how things go tomorrow. 

• Best wishes for your consultation. My positive was as a result of the every two year screening they do for older (50-75) adults. These have a higher threshold for a positive result but then refer for a colonoscopy automatically if it's met.

• Thanks.  We will hopefully find out more tomorrow.  I don't even know if the GP said what my wife's count was (they could have but due to her fibromyalgia she has brain fog so doesn'talways retain information) and I think l she panicked when she heard the C word.   Best wishes for your journey.   

• Lorraine had a colonoscopy thus morning and there is nothing sinister to report.  Thanks for your support xx

• That’s great news  and thanks for the update - it’s always helpful for people in a similar situation x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • That's wonderful news and no doubt a great relief to both of you.

• Thanks Marjolica and the best outcome.