Hello new here

• 3 replies
  • 176 subscribers

I had an Apr resection dec 2013 for colorectal cancer and a permanent colostomy. have struggled with my diet since as prior to my surgery I had a high fibre diet (to help my IBS) which very rarely caused me issues.Now my diet is very bland as otherwise my stoma doesn’t like it but my IBS is really bad -I have de caff coffee no bread now as this definitely makes it worse just wondering if anyone has any suggestions please

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. Yes that must be tricky to balance as stomas don’t tend to like high fibre. Have you tried copy and pasting this into the stoma page in case anyone there has had a similar experience?

Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Apologies - I’ve just seen that you’ve already done that. Do you take any loperamide? Could you eat more fibre but slow down the output through the stoma with loperamide? Could you ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician maybe or perhaps the IBS Society might be able to help?

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thankyou I have been to my gp who prescribed me amitryptilline which just constipates me after 1 tablet at 10 mgs. my next step was to see the dietician through the cancer service I am under. It does settle down but then after a couple of months flairs back up again and not sue why but I think it is when I am stressed possibly