Bowel polyp huge

• 2 replies
  • 176 subscribers

Hi , I had a positive FIT test in February  2022 went for colonoscopy in May which showed up " a huge " polyp 3 - 7 cm in size surgeon managed to remove some of it and get a couple of biopsies which showed it was benign,  because of its size he couldn't get it all so was back for another colonoscopy in September,  he took more biopsies which showed still benign but it was now given the title of " villous adenoma with high grade dysplasia" . I've had a sigmoidoscopy which shows low grade dysplasia and still benign .

I had a pet scan for my lung cancer and yet again this part of my bowel lit up , it's been lighting up in a pet scan since 2018 when I first had lung cancer . So yet again I had another sigmoidoscopy with biopsies taken again and it's still benign .

So I still have a polyp of roughly 3cm still in my bowel and because of lung resection due to the cancer and my " other commodities " I am unable to have the operation to remove it . Last time I saw surgeon he told me " just forget about it " so no one is keeping an eye on it to see if it regrow,  which it could , or it turns cancerous , which I was told it could do .

I try not to think about it but I've had breast cancer 11yrs ago then lung cancer 5 yrs ago , though they not related and now a polyp in my bowel which may or may not become cancer . Do I do as surgeon says and " just forget about it " . Everytime I go to loo I worry I might see blood and know things are changing but even if it did turn cancerous he wouldn't operate  , I said there must be something that can be done , he shrugged his shoulders and said nothing can be done .

Sorry it's long winded and spelling might be iffy but i just thought I'd ask for some opinions 

Thanks 

• Hi  I can totally understand your fears and it does seem a bit unreasonable to ask you to just forget about it? I don’t really know where to suggest you go from here - perhaps a chat with your GP?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Karen , yes I thought it a bit unreasonable to " just forget about it " I did say it wasn't easy , he seemed to think it was . It could stay benign but I thought if you had a polyp they at least did a yearly check as it can regrow and if it's covering half the circumstance of bowel  now then if it grows more could it cause a blockage ? I was taking Fybogel but last time I requested it I was told by it was " unavailable " and doctor said just to eat more fibre .

I could be worrying about nothing and it might stay benign but not to get it checked at least once a year doesn't seem right .

Thanks for answering 

Take care x 

Sandra