New cancer diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 176 subscribers

Yesterday, I was given my cancer diagnosis. The results of the colonoscopy found a 6 cm bleeding tumour in my sigmoid colon. I have been so unwell since Christmas that my quality of life has been affected, but I am relieved to finally have a diagnosis. It hit me like a freight train. I will never forget the moment the doctor uttered those life-altering words, and yet I can't tell you exactly what those words were. Foolishly, I had ignored serious symptoms for months through sheer, bloody (literally) embarrassment. I have been inundated with information from the hospital but as I like being meticulous I do find that reassuring. I'm not sure what my future holds but I am determined to rise to the challenge.

• Hello Marcas,

Welcome to the club that no-one wants to join!

We have all been where you are at the moment, so take heart. Don't surf the Internet looking for answers - there aren't any at the moment. Just deal with what you know on a daily basis - not what you imagine might happen because that is in the future and no-one knows what that might be. Bear in mind that scans, test results, etc all take time and do not happen overnight, so be a patient patient. These pages, the NHS website and Cancer Research UK's website offer experience-based facts without the drama but many others worldwide are either out of date or have something to sell. Keep your mind and body active on other things and don't mope. Once you get a treatment plan you can fight back with an army backing you up!

May I suggest clicking on contributors' names where you might find an individual's account of their circumstances, treatment and outcome to date.

Best

Dulac

• Hi so sorry to hear about your diagnosis it's a horrible time. I was diagnosed with exactly the same but on operating was told it was rectal and not sigmoid. The treatment would have been the same. I was lucky because although I had had it for many years it was slow growing and like you 6cm. I had part of my rectum and most of my sigmoid removed almost 18 months ago. I was lucky no spread but have five years of surveillance. My nurses and consultand are wonderful and if I have any worries they have me in. As time goes on the anxiety does decrease but initially I thought the worst and was in a very dark place. I hope you get good results from your scans. Xxx

• Hi Poppy, thank you so much for your reply. It's incredibly reassuring to hear you're on a positive trajectory. I'm very lucky that my family and friends are offering all of the support I could ask for. The doctors and nurses have been excellent. Thank you for your positivity with regard to my scan results. Once I get the results of the grade, type and stage I will have a bit more certainty in my life. I'll post an update on this forum. Thanks again xx