Fit test and potential diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 176 subscribers

Hi all..

well I find myself here because I have had very severe (7 on the stool chart) for over 4 weeks alongside stomach pains and also some side back pain for a few months ..so GP did two poo samples one for bugs etc and one the FIT stool Test. So the blood tests came back with very low out of range white cells and also eosophills very low ..

the fit test came back at 58 out of range abnormal and the GP has ref me urgently under the 2WR. 
I am trying to stay positive but I feel that it is a cancer due to my extreme tiredness symptom etc ..also my partner has stage 4 advanced metastatic melanoma ..

any help advice would be so welcome ..

thank you 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. 58 is quite low but it’s always good to get thoroughly checked out. Only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis. There are quite a few things that can cause blood in the stool eg. Ibs, diverticulitis, colitis, piles. I’ve attached a link to a post below which may be helpful

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/bowel-colon-rectum-cancer-forum/f/general/258475/fit-test-score-28#pifragment-16476=3

It’s easy to let the worry get on top of you causing broken sleep and a feeling of tiredness so try to focus on what you know and not what you don’t know and hopefully your appointment will be through soon.

Please let us know how you get on?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Karen 

thank you for your reply .. I think because of the pain and the other symptoms I am just feeling like in my gut it may be cancer I also have pernicious anemia which makes me higher risk of a cancer in that area..Did you have sedation with your colonoscopy as I had one years ago and I found it really quite painful I appreciate it’s not going to be pleasant .

where your other bloods low at testing stage as my white cells and esophills and another are below normal range so I don’t no if this is also related .. I read your post also and wow you really have gone through it BIG time and I’m sorry that’s happened to you , so amazing to see where your at now ;)) 

• Hi again  I seem to remember my bloods being ok but I had been having loose stools for quite a while and was passing blood when I went to the toilet before I went to the doctors (I know! Convinced myself it was a lifestyle change after leaving my job!)

Theres usually 2 types of pain relief offered tor a colonoscopy. There’s gas and air or a mild sedation through a cannula in your hand. If you have the mild sedation then you cannot drive yourself home after and need to have someone with you for 24 hours. You’re still awake but very relaxed and can see what’s going on on screen (if you want to) but only vaguely aware of what’s going on? They usually give you time to come round after with a cup of tea and some toast/biscuits then someone will discuss what they’ve done before you leave.

Thankyou for your lovely comments - it seems such a long time ago now and I had a few set backs but I’m still here over 7 years on and hopefully helping others.

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm