Reaching Out Before 1st Consultation

• 5 replies
  • 166 subscribers

Hello All,

I know this is early to be assuming the worst, and my test results could mean many things, but I popped on to the Macmillan website to look for some advice of the process of referrals consultation etc, and found this forum which looked like a place, even without a positive diagnosis to reach out for some support. 

Since the beginning of the year I have been noticing I have felt differently, nothing major just gassing out at the gym, feeling more tired, not shaking off colds as easy as possible. I have also felt more bloated after eating, and experiencing changes in my bowel movements. Recently I have notices some blood when going to the loo, I thought it was just a cut or spot or something, but it persisted. 

I visited the Dr's last week and they did some blood test and a QFIT. All the results came back on Wednesday and I was called in yesterday. My QFIT result was positive with a result of >400 ughs/g Stl [10.0] Above recommend range. This was never explained to me, but I have been placed on the 2WW Pathway and have just been advised I have a telephone consultation on Wednesday morning next week. I also had a positive result for Plasma Viscosity 1.85mPa.s which I was told was probably a symptom of what is causing the bleeding picked up in the QFIT.

I am 44 yrs old, married with two kids 10 and 12. I am a very positive person, and I am keeping my cool with this situation, avoiding Dr Google etc, but it is not possible to keep it all from my mind at the moment.

I am keeping a positive outlook on this as I know that blood in my stool doesn't automatically mean bowel cancer, and I have seen some threads on this forum saying that after their colonoscopy it was determined that it was polyps etc. But, the worst keeps popping into my mind occasionally so I just wanted to reach out to the forum, as >400 ugh/s I think is high, but was not explained to me by the GP.

I am working to focus on just what is in front of my, having a nice weekend, then just the tele consult on Wednesday which I assume is standard protocol to discuss the colonoscopy and booking it etc.

Anyway, think you for reading any thought/advise you can offer would be gratefully appreciated. 

Matt

• Hi Matt and welcome to the forum  sorry you have to be here but hopefully it wont be for long. Though i have/had bowel and rectal cancer they were/are secondaries so my understanding of your situation is limited, but there are many on the forum in a better place to offer you advice, I can offer my best wishes and hope you get the results you and all of us hope you get, take care.

Eddie

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. I’ve attached a link to a recent post where Crumpetsortoast has posted a really good explanation regarding fit tests. 

Fit test score 28 . 

As you rightly say, there are lots of things that can cause blood in the stool like crohns, colitis, diverticulitis, ibs and only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis. The important thing is to get thoroughly checked out and you should get a colonoscopy  appointment through within 2 weeks.

Loving your attitude of focusing on what’s in front of you. Stay away from google and try to occupy yourself until Wednesday. If, and it’s very much an if at the moment, it does turn out to be bowel cancer then there is a lot of treatment available and we would be here to support you through it.

Take care and please let us know how you get on?

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you for the nice message. I did see the post on the QFIT, but the numbers still confused me as my has the >400 on it which I wasn’t sure if that was in the range with 28 being in the lower side, and 400 upper etc.

• Hi  As I understand it the readings define the priorising of follow up so a high reading would put you into the 2 week referral timescale? If you want to chat it through with someone then the support desk will be open tomorrow on the number below?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you Karen,

I have all the info i need right now, whilst it’s on my mind, I remaining calm and positive as it’s always bigger in the mind etc, and I’m not one to panic.

I have no diagnosis yet, and there is a lot that can cause the bleeding etc, and my fatigue etc could be caused by the bleed etc, so there no point me building this up. But, it does stay in the mind of course and can be OK to think about it rather than completely deny cancer could be the cause.

I am just looking to Wed 9am for my tele consult, then when that’s done, to the next appointment. I am very happy to be in the 2 week process as at least that means a quicker result than a long wait etc.

So, for now I am ok, I have a small support network ready to go if it turns out to be cancer or something equally series, so I don’t feel alone.

Finger crossed ;-)