Shock diagnosis

• 26 replies
  • 179 subscribers

Hi everyone. 

Firstly I've never joined a group so I'm very new to this.

I went for a Polyp removal today, benine Polyps,  only to be told I was in the wrong department and I needed to see a doctor. After a couple of cancellations to my procedure and not being told beforehand that I needed to see a doctor when the penny dropped, you see a doc before your op so they can tell you what's going on, I just hoped I was wrong.  Unfortunately not.  I was told I had bowel cancer and my world fell apart.  My first thought was how am I going to tell this news to my 14 year old son. I have 5 children , 35, 33, 32, 29 and 14. It's late now and I only just found this group.  I've managed to tell all my children but  not my 14 year old. I know there's others worse off than me so I don't know exactly what I'm expecting to hear back,  just wanted to tell someone other than my children I suppose. 

Corporal J

• Hi,

I’ve just came across your post I’m so sorry you are in this situation. You have every right to feel the way you do it’s upsetting. I always think when you here the word surgery when cancer is involved it’s really a good thing once you get over the shock. Surgery means they will take it out. You sound like you will have loads of support but sometimes it’s good to speak to people who are going through similar. 

Sending you a virtual hug xx

Cath

• Thank you so much for  your kind and quick response. 

• Hi, 

Your welcome it’s a scary world being diagnosed with cancer. But you will find the strength from somewhere I know I have xx

Cath

• Hi Corporal J

Im sorry that you have had this experience in your diagnosis. I had lots of tests before my appointment which I was then told the treatment plan. The waiting and testing is the worst part  this is such a good place to talk. Please stay off Google I scared myself silly with it 

Have you been told what the treatment plan is? 

Telling the children is tough especially your youngest child. 
    sending you a hug ? 
    Keep talking here if it helps. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Artsie Ann.

I haven't been told a complete treatment plan yet. The plan at the moment is to remove part of the bowel.  The surgery I can cope with, apart from being put to sleep  that is, it's finding out I had cancer after being told I had 1 precancerous polyp, which was removed and the rest were benign. I have to have a ct scan before a full plan is put in place.  I had the bloods done and they came back good. 

When I get upset and talk to my hubby he just brushes it off like I'm moaning about a cold, that's his department!

I have a Macmillan nurse does this mean my cancer is terminal.  Sorr5if I sound stupid but I never expected this to happen to me so I just don't know. 

• Hi, 

Im not sure but I don’t think so. I have a colectoral nurse in we me and with an oncologist. 

Your only terminal when your not here that’s my motto anyway. 

you’ve got this and my husband is exactly the same. He just does not want to speak about it. 

Cath

• Hi there 

No a MacMillan nurse doesn’t mean it’s terminal but I understand where you’re coming from. I ignored the booklets and paperwork and left it in the consultation room it followed me to the physio and she shoved it in my hands. I promptly got home and shoved it in a drawer. There it stayed until after my op when I joined here 

My physio was MacMillan they fly under that flag for all the literature that they present. They’re NHS but it did frighten me too until I asked them. I assumed that MacMillan was the worst case. 

I’ve had wonderful coherent treatment under my team and MacMillan. They provide all around support and phone though to check like you I didn’t want to know at the beginning because I was scared. 
    Sounds like your hubby is struggling too. Mine was really quiet and didn’t talk about it but oh my he was amazing throughout my diagnosis and treatment. My rock. 

It’s good that you’ve joined here. I wish I had my head was all over the place. 
    You take care 

Sending you a hug x

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thank you so much I  feel a lot better . I hope you're doing ok.

I have my 4 grown up children to talk to but I'm guessing it's upsetting for them so this community is the right place to be at this moment. 

• Definitely.

My family were brilliant but I could see the pain on their faces 

Here you can put anything up whereas our families are close to it and frightened too  

I didn’t join until I had serious wobbles with my Stoma called Whoopi and then I felt support and advice from others that had done it and knew how I felt. It’s unique support and amazing. I travelled flew and enjoyed life to the full and I put it down to confidence from my group. 
    Anything that you’re worried about you can talk here

You can read people bios if you click on their names and when you have your treatment plan it may be helpful 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi, , you may find this post helpful with regard to telling your youngster. I hope the link works!

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../to-tell-or-not