To tell... or not

• 11 replies
  • 90 subscribers

I've been around this site for a couple of years now, and it is always helpful. Recently I've seen threads that say that I'm not going to tell my family the news. I fully understand that it is a personal decision, and we are all different. It's just that as a family we had a different experience which changed my outlook when I got diagnosed, else I would have followed this route.

Let me explain. About 15ish years ago my father-in-law was diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma. His choice, but he kept it quiet for a while, then when he couldn't , he banned visitors. This was upsetting as family, but it was very difficult for my daughter, around 9 or 10 at the time. She couldn't see her grandad, didn't mind he was ill, just wanted to see him. It was over 18 months before we got to visit again. 

When I was diagnosed I also thought I'd keep quiet. I was diagnosed at the colonoscopy and scans were immediately set up. Daughter knew I'd been, so in a small house it wasn't an option not to tell so I did. She absorbed it, now a young adult, and then the hurt from before came out. Was I going to hide away, not see anyone, not talk to anyone...I can't remember all the argument but it made a profound impression. I just had no idea how grandad's decision had been taken,  by a child. So I made my daughter a promise that I'd not hide anything from her, we'd keep talking in both directions.

For someone who is private, this was quite difficult. The next step was family and work. Do I tell or not. Prognosis was uncertain at the time, and the lump was large, scans were done. One scan was the evening before work, one was the next morning so I would be late to work. But the hospital, once they knew I was coming back the next morning managed to fit that scan in that evening. Bless them, saved a journey and some anguish! But I went to school the next morning as usual. Why am I in, you were going to be late? This was about a week after diagnosis, mentally up and down, but I suddenly decided to tell. Stunned silence. But it was actually the best decision I made. Very, very difficult for someone who doesn't talk about themselves. Likewise with my business. I wasn't sure if I was going to be around, if I was, was I going to be able to work, etc etc. Cancer has a bad reputation sometimes in that it is a hidden disease. But I knew I was in for an operation and who knew what. 

Once I had the MDT meeting results and a plan, I did a phased telling of family and a few friends. For some reason I 'knew' I was not going to make it past the operation. I'd come to terms with my mortality and was ok with it. I'd sorted the animals future and was ready. Even asked the anesthetist  if he'd wake me up (yes! The paperwork was too great otherwise!!!)  . Obviously I came round!

But it would have been so, so much harder to tell everyone after the event. Particularly when you then get 30 weeks of chemo, which cannot be hidden. A year got wiped out. I wanted to prevent anyone from feeling like my daughter before, of why wasn't I told? She will hold a slight grudge forever. I think I'm saying you don't know how people will react. A few months in,  I was not keeping it quiet, not shouting either, just letting it come up in conversation or not. 

So, if you've got this far, just a viewpoint on whether to tell... or not. My instinct was to not tell. But I did, painfully and anxiously. And it was the best course of action in the long term. Less stress.

Big hugs to everyone in this predicament, it is not easy, no one answer fits all. Stay safe.

• Very interesting post Gemmary. I think we sometimes forget we’re shaped as people by our past experiences and that everyone and their circumstances are different.
    Other than my husband I decided not to tell anyone until all the tests etc were done and I’d seen the surgeon after the MDT meeting; our adult children weren’t living at home and I wasn’t going out to work and we live a few hundred miles away from most of our other family, so it was easier to do. I also needed a bit of time to myself to come to terms with the diagnoses and my mortality.
    Once I knew what we were dealing with I told our children, then the immediate family asking them to lend their support to my husband and children. I also told our immediate neighbours as it would be difficult to hide that something was different and I didn’t want to resort to telling white lies. I’m so pleased I did, they have been such a support. After that I did as you did – not hiding it, but not shouting it from the rooftops. It takes time out of your life and it’s impossible to act as you did especially if you have chemo, so if it came up in conversation I told it as it was.
    Sometimes trying to hold it together needs you to keep things to yourself for a while but hiding something like cancer indefinitely (I believe) can cause more stress and take a large toil on our wellbeing. It’s very interesting how a diagnoses makes you think about things differently and sometimes change your view on how you thought you’d react. It’s certainly changed me and I hope made me a better and more open person.
    I guess all of us will have this dilemma at some point – it’s not an easy decision but I’m sure you’ll all do what’s right for you in the circumstances.
    Hugs to all.

Janet (Net77)

• Thanks, , you covered some points I forgot! Not easy talking about this even now I guess. But as the cancer experience changes you, I eventually felt it was better out than in. And later on if anyone can't hack the situation and removes themselves from my circle, then perhaps that's best for all concerned. It is surprising where support comes from. And you get to know the people who want to forget it, so you never bring the subject up again (thinking of work colleagues). Thanks again, I did wonder whether this was the right post to do, but I did it. Same type of thinking really. Damn I have trouble saying what I want, but hopefully you get the gist.

Stay safe all

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Really great post and sums it up well.  I have found people have been amazing.  Some immediately sent all kinds of gifts and care packages, some just quietly said, if there’s anything you need, don’t hesitate to ask.  The kids (1 young adult, 1 young teen) have both handled it well.  Yes, it’s hard, but it feels better being straightforward with them than trying to shield them.  Yes both had big wobbles in acting out.  But I still think they needed to hear it straight.  Most people have been great - they casually ask often how we’re doing, and it’s just perfect- a door-opener when we feel like talking, but easy to shrug off when we don’t.  A few have been annoying- sending herbal cures and such. Slight smile Or being too positive when in reality we know what we’re facing is very tough.  But it’s been fine putting up with them in exchange for the genuine help we’ve received from so many.  We have always been extremely independent- so the surprise has been how nice it has been to occasionally get support.  And it’s just a relief to not feel like I’m hiding anything.  Work has been perfect. Once I burst into tears and everyone just thought that was fine.  

However, I also think it’s valid if people want to keep it quiet or withdraw.  I know many people with cancer turn angry, and they don’t want to be around others especially because they don’t want to show anger to those they love but can’t help it.  So they shut people out.  I get it and that’s ok too.  This is a lousy disease and I think any reaction is valid.  But my choice is just to let people know.  

• Difficult one.  My mum wanted to shield my dad from his own terminal bowel cancer diagnosis and to shield the children who were 6 to 16 back in the 1970s.  It was a different world then.  I overheard the words terminal and malignant while she was on the phone and checked the words in a dictionary.  That's how I found out he was not going to make it after a two year battle. I understand why and am not angry about it.   I'm awaiting a colonoscopy now as symptomatic but could be something else, and awaiting radiotherapy for breast cancer.  I kept my breast cancer to myself and my partner for a few weeks, as I had to process it myself.

I did tell my elderly mother and son when I felt ready, that still feels right.  Such an individual thing.  No rights or wrongs in my opinion.  Just do what feels right for you. 

• Hi Gemmary, 

Great post, thank you for this. Obviously it is a very difficult and personal choice. 

I personally have told most people, not in a Facebook dramatic announcement way ( But some people find this  helps them too, my friend is like this) but if anyone has asks me what is wrong with me I have been honest.

I have a big close extended family, brothers, sisters nieces and nephews and they all know when I have scans and tests. As do my close friends.

My daughter is 26 and she made me promise her from the start that I wouldn't hide anything from her, good or bad, and this is what I have done. My nieces are of a similar age and to be honest the only one in the family I haven't shared everything with is my 15 year nephew, his parents filter what they think he needs to know.

Everyone at work knows as i go in when I am well enough, and provisions have been made for me as I have a stoma and I need them to know that sometimes I may need to dash from my desk. I work at a school and have a close pastoral relationship with students. I am not sure how much they are aware, but ask me how I am feeling.

Obviously HR are aware of everything but I don't tell colleagues until I have facts. and if they ask. The same with my neighbours. I have lived in the same village for over 40 years and everyone can see that I am not myself.

This is a very personal decision and neither way is right or wrong. This is just how I am and I have found it has helped me enormously.

Hope everyone finds the right way for them, and they draw comfort when needed.

Phoebeb21
  • , this is the thread. It might help you decide how. 

• I did give brief updates as it’s part of life . My mum actually just got one through the other date that included scan results . 

It gave her the opportunity to follow up with a call . That’s the part you might want to think about . Some people like to manage the situation by setting up a WhatsApp group for friends/family. It gives a measure of control but also stops you getting overwhelmed.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi 

I gave updates in cards . My mum has just received one like that . 
    Some use WhatsApp to help manage close friends and family and stop being overwhelmed.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you for posting, I've been wondering how much to tell my teens. I've told my adult son there's a high likely hood I have bowel cancer and whether the biopsies come back as malignant or benign I'll be having surgery to remove the mass.

The 3 littles (4, 2 and 6mths) have been told "mummy is poorly and has to go to hospital for an operation soon which will hopefully make her better". However, I'm torn between whether to actually use Thinkingthe word cancer or not with the teens (15 and almost 17) because my MDT team is quite positive there are no signs of spread, so I shouldn't need chemo. Thinking

Cancer is such a scary word for most people, I'm not sure how I'd cope if it caused them genuine anxiety, but we've also had a few behaviour issues and I don't want them to then use this as an excuse Shrugto get away with things. Shrug

Torn!