Rectal cancer

• 27 replies
  • 167 subscribers

Hi new to this group and wondered how people cope with the emotional roller coaster I am currently riding. Had a colostomy bag fitted Monday and learning to change this independently which is going well I think.....

Read up on all the physical aspects of a colostomy and thought I was prepared for the days after.... How wrong I was.... Be good to hear from others experiences and how they coped.

• Hi Stwhitm and thanks for accepting my friend request. Read your profile but couldn't find how to message you directly so will start here. 

Rob

• Evening Rob, sorry you find yourself on here.  Karen is correct I bang on about football - a lot.  Does the LFC in your user name refer to Liverpool?  My wife & me are season ticket holders.  I’m not sure what stage of treatment you’re at - ask anything, someone on here always has an answer.

YNWA (message to Juergen, check out Declan Rice)

Mike

• Hi Mike yes indeed am an avid Liverpool fan but not avid enough to be a season ticket holder. As for treatment it's early days cancer is in the rectal passage and had a colostomy done last Monday. There's abnormalities in the liver so an MRI booked for tomorrow followed by PET scan Tuesday then see an oncologist on weds so busy few days ahead. Said it before but really glad I'm here to talk so openly about things. And reckon YNWA can be applied to this group. Thanks everyone who has messaged today.

Rob.

• Hi everyone and thanks for accepting my friend requests. So had my MRI with primovist today...... Think my lungs need a rest holding my breath so many times and as for the shaking bed uuuuuuggggghhh still it's done and dusted phew. Grin. Stoma nurse discharged me this morning but drs said no due to my inability to pass urine frequently enough ..... Peeing in the bottle with the sound of running water is working so fingers crossed I could be home after my PET scan tomorrow. My own bed and a good night's sleep is well needed after 8 days in hospital it's true what they say you don't go into hospital for a rest lol. Update you all tomorrow on what happens and hope everyone is well and happy.

Rob x

• Evening Rob

So which hospital are you in?

YNWA 

Mike 

• RUH in Bath Mike.

Rob

• Hi Roblfc

Fingers crossed you’re home tomorrow, it’s so true you can’t rest in hospital.  Just drop off and they wake you for something. I found the nights worst of all. 
    best wishes for the scan and hospital discharge 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Good evening everyone finally home!! Grin PET scan went well so much more relaxing than yesterday's MRI. Have to do 20 more days of fragmin injections housemate is doing this as I hate even the sight of a needle . Just tomorrow to face as far as answers and treatment then I can begin the battle of kicking this cancers ass (no pun intended). Long shower clean clothes fresh bedding and an early night..... Happy days! 

Rob x

• Congratulations on your release from Hospital. Now you really can relax and recoup. 
    I hated the blood thinner jabs. I dreaded six pm. Jab time. It’s great you have someone to help.
    Best wishes with the results.
    Enjoy being home.
    best wishes  

Ann
     ‍Art