Just diagnosed

• 16 replies
  • 165 subscribers

Hi everyone, thanks for having me in your group.

I had a colonoscopy last Friday and had biopsies done on a tumor in my bowel. I'm still awaiting the results, but have been told that from years of experience it is cancer. Yesterday I had a ct scan and have been told, I will be called in for a meeting next week to discuss treatment. I have asked the nurse to phone me tomorrow to tell me what they have found from the scans, instead of hitting me with everything all in one go.

I'm so terrified of having to leave my kids. I've hardly slept a wink since last Fri, (or ate, as I've had to do 2 lots of laxative stuff!)

Everyone is saying stay positive, but I'm really struggling. Thanks for listening. Xx

• Yes, always someone around to listen. This is the worst time, waiting. Once a plan is made it gets somewhat easier as you have things to focus on. All the very best.

• I remember being in your position in November, I was also told it was cancer straight after the colonoscopy.  Its such a shock and your world as you know it comes crashing down.  Please know that it will get easier, the wait for results is excruciating and is the worst bit, as soon as you meet with your oncologist and a plan is put in place it will feel better.  Best advice, stay off Google.  Wishing u all the best, you've got this. Xx

• Thank you for your reply. It's good to know there is someone out there to talk to other than family and friends (who have been great) but it helps to hear from people who have been in similar circumstances.

Thank you and all the best. X

• Hi Star, thanks for your reply. How are you getting on?

Yes, the worst thing I've done is constantly Google everything! Not sure if I've done the right thing asking for results over the phone tomorrow before I go in for the meeting next week. I just thought I could get my head around it a bit.

I'm just hoping the scan results show it hasn't spread anywhere. I just can't understand how I feel so well?  Very tired because of the anemia, but no pain.

At least this time tomorrow, I'll know what I'm dealing with.

Many thanks. Xx

• Hi Rochelle, sorry to hear your news. It is the worse time, the waiting is intense and very scary. It is incredibly hard to stay positive, but it is possible. I am 46 and have 2 boys age 9 and 13 and I got my news that yes, it was a tumour, last Xmas eve!. Xmas day passed by in an absolute blur where I felt that I would just burst into tears, at the table in front of the kids . But I managed to hold it together, with much work. I had my op in Jan this year, to remove the tumour and now 6 months later, on oral chemo, I am in a much better place, mentally and physically. You have to keep going for your family. I hope you can find the strength too. Sending you positive vibes and best wishes over the next few days, whilst you await to hear back from your medical team.

Take care! 

• Yes, it's a lot to deal with, very overwhelming.  I got my results over the phone and even now I prefer a tel apt rather than face to face, something about being in the comfort of my own home. 

I'm doing OK thanks, unfortunately mine had spread to the liver, I've been on chemo since Nov and the tumours are shrinking thank goodness, I'm currently waiting to see if I can have a liver resection.

The care I have received has been phenomenal, I've been extremely lucky with my oncologist and her team.

Keep posting on here, it's a great place to ask questions and get support.  Keep us updated.  

Michelle xx

• Hi Rose, thanks for your reply. X I'm glad to hear you're in a better place now. My circumstances are quite similar in that I am 49 and have a 13 year old daughter and an 8 year old son. Omg I can't imagine finding out on Christmas Eve, that must have been awful. I have had the most awful day waiting for the phone to ring, but the hospital phoned at 5pm to tell me that the cancer hasn't spread and I'm looking and getting my op around the 11Aug. I'm relieved but scared too.

Best wishes. Xxx

• Hi Michelle, I'm glad to hear your tumors are shrinking. X

Is been a hell of a day waiting for the hospital to ring, but they did eventually and the cancer hasn't spread, thank God. Got to wait a month for my op though, don't know if that's normal, but they know what they're doing. Just want to get in and get it over with!

Thanks so much for your replies.

Best wishes.

Michelle. Xx

• Hi Rochelle, rejoice in that good news from the hospital! I did when I heard there was no spread. Before you know it, your op date will be here and you will be feeling relieved once the procedure has been done I'm sure. Do you know what procedure it is going to be yet? I had keyhole surgery, to remove the tumour that was located on the curve within sigmoid colon. Try not to overthink it all, I know its hard, but once the op is done, there just feels like this huge weight (and wait!) is off your shoulders. Then just time to heal and recover. 

My 2 kids and hubby are the only things that got me through! 

All the best and keep us posted. I found it really helpful to find out how other people having the same or similar procedures, coped with it all, once home etc. This site has been so helpful through it all, and continues to be. 

Have a good weekend. 

• Oh i haven't stopped crying since I found out. I had convinced myself of the worst!! I've got lots of support from family and friends, which has helped so much in the past week. I just can't wait to get it over with. It' really puts things into perspective doesn't it? 

I don't know what I'm having done yet,or where it is, until I go in for the meeting. I'm having an iron infusion on Thurs, so I'm hoping I feel a bit better after that.

How long did it take for you to recover from keyhole surgery?

Did you go in the day before or the day of your op? 

Hope you don't mind me asking? 

Thanks for all your kind words and info, it really is appreciated. 

Have a lovely weekend. Xx