Just diagnosed

• 16 replies
  • 164 subscribers

Hi everyone, thanks for having me in your group.

I had a colonoscopy last Friday and had biopsies done on a tumor in my bowel. I'm still awaiting the results, but have been told that from years of experience it is cancer. Yesterday I had a ct scan and have been told, I will be called in for a meeting next week to discuss treatment. I have asked the nurse to phone me tomorrow to tell me what they have found from the scans, instead of hitting me with everything all in one go.

I'm so terrified of having to leave my kids. I've hardly slept a wink since last Fri, (or ate, as I've had to do 2 lots of laxative stuff!)

Everyone is saying stay positive, but I'm really struggling. Thanks for listening. Xx

• Oh that is good news, so pleased for you.  Use the month to get ready for surgery,  walks or exercise I was told! All the best.xx

• Hi Rochelle,

After receiving the news that the tumour had to be urgently removed, due to its location in the colon, the docs set my operation date for Jan 11th. Unfortunately it was during covid ofcourse, so they could not tell me which hospital it would take place in and this only added more stress to the situation. I was just hoping and praying each day that a hospital would become available, whilst at the same time reading in the papers that so many hospitals, at that time, were cancelling procedures. it was terrifying, to be honest, I just had to pull myself together, I was a bit of a mess! That is one less worry now, as hospitals are now working hard to get late / missed procedures done.

Luckily the op went through on date as planned at a private hospital in London, that had converted an entire floor for bowel cancer patients. I went in on the morning 7am and was in a bed recovering, on lots of pain meds by late afternoon. My surgeon managed to join my bits back together nicely, so I did not require a stoma bag. Prior to the op, I did see a stoma nurse who takes you through what having a stoma bag is all about. I spent 5 nights in hospital and was allowed to go home once surgeon was happy that my bowels were functioning okay. it;s all about the bowel and your poop basically!  You will be asked constantly how it is all going down there! it becomes an issue that is no longer 'embarrassing' to talk about so don't worry. I only managed to eat very little in hospital which I didn't even feel like, but ofcourse, your body needs food to recover and lots of water! On day 3 of being in hospital I really made the effort to get out of the bed and gently start to walk around the room. It was really scary how painful those first few steps felt, but you just have to keep going! 6 months later now, I am on chemo tablets which were 'precautionary', says my oncoologist, I feel great, I walk every day and my side effects from the medication have just been sore hands and feet. The skin on them is dry and tingly, which is expected. 

All the best, try not to worry too much, I did and I regret overthinking every negative scenario. it didn't help me at all!

• Oh Rose that must have been horrendous for you, having all the added stress of covid as well. My dad said to me yesterday, at least things are fairly normal with regards to hospital appointments now and things seem to be moving really fast for me. I have my iron infusion this Thurs, so each appointment is a step closer. 

I'm trying to get out for a walk every day and eat healthy, so I'm in a good position by the time the op comes around. I've decided to keep my kids off school this week too, just with the covid cases rising so rapidly and there's also chicken pox going around! 

Can I ask, did you have a biopsy done? They took some during my colonoscopy which was over a week ago and it's still a bit sore, I'm hoping this is normal?

I'm not sure what sort of surgery I'm having yet, until I go to discuss my plan. I've heard of people having keyhole surgery and only being in hospital a couple of days? Not that it makes any difference, it has to be done regardless and I'll get through it.

I'm so happy that you're in a good place now. Something like this makes you realise what's important. I'm going to try to stop stressing about silly things and just enjoy life with my little family.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with your experience. As supportive as my family have been, its reassuring to talk to someone who's been through a similar experience.

You take care

Love and best wishes

Michelle xx

• Hi Michelle, 

Good idea to keep kids home, I did that too when I had my op. I did not have biopsy done during my colonoscopy so not sure about it. I did have a very quick biopsy done on my right breast a few weeks ago, I just felt a very tiny bump and got  paranoid about it, but it was all clear. The breast was quite sore after, so it sounds normal that there should be some pain after.

Yes some people do leave hospital after 2 - 4 days after keyhole. I honestly feel that I would have been out sooner if I got out of my bed earlier and started walking around the room!! I spent the first 3 days feeling very sorry for myself and got into a depressed slump, which I regret now.. But on day 3 after a serious pep talk from a good friend on the phone, I got up and moved around. My legs actually shook. It was not easy and quite painful everywhere, to be honest. So yes, just take it slowly, once op done but doctors will want to see you are able to stand up and walk around safely, on your own, and that your bowel is functioning.  I was quite shocked at how doing little things, like picking up a water jug, was a strain whilst in that hospital bed. Everything  felt heavy to me! Even the large teapotGrimacingSmile It gets better, but I found you have to adapt your mind, then your body will follow and catch up. 

All the best for Thursday! Take care. 

• I had a colonoscopy on Christmas Eve and was told it was almost certainly cancer. After a stoma and chemo/radiotherapy I am to have another scan in a few weeks and then hopefully surgery in August to remove the tumor. 

Keep going, it does get easier once you are on a plan. Sending best wishes to you. Look after yourself and trust the professionals.

• I think one day at a time and openmind attitudes help.  Postive !!. Well sure.