Hello I’m new here

• 12 replies
  • 166 subscribers

Hi everyone my name is Ashley I’m 33 years old and found out Wednesday I have bowl cancer, it’s located on the line of the colon and rectum so had by CT scan and that will show more as to wether it’s colon or rectum, should know by next Wednesday that latest and wether it has spread any where, feeling very anxious, worried and just want to cry all the time, I have 2 beautiful daughters aged 10 and 7, have my amazing partner to, every one has been so supportive for me, but I’m struggling, I hope everyone is doing well and look forward to meeting some of you, 

many thanks Ashley 

• Hi Ashley, 

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer just before Christmas. Luckily, mine was small and early stage so my treatment plan was 28 days of chemotherapy/radiotherapy which they hope will get rid of it. I’ve had my CT snd MRI scans this week and now have the horrible wait to see my oncologist in two weeks time. 
    I am sure you will feel much better once you have all your scan results and a treatment plan - I know I certainly did. It’s the waiting that is the worst part of all this and I wish you well with your journey x

• Hello and thank you for your making time to speak to me, I know the waiting game is horrible and all sorts running through my mind. That’s great news yours was caught early , I wish you well in your journey to, and the next 2 weeks comes round quickly for you . 

• Hi Ashley, I;m much older than you but I'm experiencing the same feelings and emotions as you are.  Even at 72 its hard to accept and think of the future and from what I have read what we are experiencing is normal.  I am at roughly the same stage as you and waiting to hear if its spread.  The imagination goes into overdrive and I know that until you have confirmation it's all in the mind but its hard.  I too am lucky that I have great support from my wife family and friends.  All the very best.

• . Hi Ashley and a warm welcome to the board from me. The waiting for scans, results, meetings etc. is very stressful but once you have a treatment plan in place then things will feel a bit better. Bowel cancer is notoriously slow growing but very treatable - I was diagnosed in 2016 and I’m currently cancer free as are the 2 ladies that I went through my treatment with.

The advice that I always give everyone is to stay away from google - it is out of date and downright scary in places. Stay on here and the Bowel cancer uk board and we will support you through this. If you click on people’s names then their profile page may give you an idea of their journey so far and you can ask anything you want on here - there is nothing too daft or embarrassing!

Take care and let us know how you get on

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi folks I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago with stage 4 and it has spread to my liver and lungs. Don’t despair once you get your treatment path you will feel better. My biggest tip is to stay really positive I know that’s very difficult but it helps enormously. I’ve had lots of treatments and ops which is tough but you grit your teeth and get on with it. I’m having a second liver resection in 3 weeks. My second big tip is actually take any help that is offered I’ve had phenomena support from my family, friends and from the company I work for. I live on my own and am 66 there’s still life in the old dog yet! 

• Hi and thank you for sharing your story , you have done amazing through your journey, and hope the next 2 weeks goes quickly for you to, and get the good news it has gone, like you say im sure I will feel better once the results have come through, wishing you well to . 

• Hello and thank you for your message, yes very stressful indeed and the part I’m more upset about is knowing if it’s spread or not, as I know where the main tumor is, and that’s amazing your cancer free I am so pleased for you, I will defantley take your advice and stay away from google, I know it can be dangerous and miss leading, I will continue to stay on here for support for myself and for me to offer support to others aswell. 
    many thanks again. Stay well 

• Hello and nice to meet you, you defantley have had a hard journey to go through and so nice to see your staying positive through this time. I’m trying to stay positive but still get my moments where I just burst in to tears, I have so many fears running through my head, but also get positive moments to. I wish all you all the luck in the world, keep us updated on how your getting on, I’m glad you have excellent support around you to. 
    many thanks again 

• Excellent post  . All the best for your next resection and sincerely hope it’s the last you will need . Great seeing you on the forum lifting others up .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Ashley, 

I was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer in January, turning 32 in a month it was unexpected but I've had such amazing people both at the hospital and in my partner, friends and my family that's back in Sweden. 

I had my surgery in March and now on 12 rounds of Folfox. Its not been fun but I've tried to stay positive whilst allowing myself to have bad days but making sure to talk to my partner about it. For a grumpy Mancunian he's quite good at lifting my spirits when I'm feeling my very worst. Having a 10 month cocker spaniel who's constantly happy has helped too.

I agree with the waiting being the worst part, not knowing the plan. Or when you know the plan waiting for it to start to be closer to being done. 

I really wish you and your family all the best and hope it all goes smoothly x 

Em xx