Recent diagnosis, terrified but trying to stay positive!!

• 9 replies
  • 166 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I had a colonoscopy on weds and they think I have a rectal cancer. Awaiting appointments for MRI and CT scans. Do they normally come through quite quickly? I’m so scared but am desperately trying to put a brave face on for family. I think someone else mentioned on here that every pain they felt they thought it had spread....I’m feeling exactly like this at the moment. It all feels so unfair! I’ve always kept myself fit, eat really healthily and have no family members who’ve had bowel cancer. I just feel like I want answers as to why me? 

• Hi 

Welcome to the forum . It is so frightening for people in the beginning and we spend lots of time reassuring people that the symptoms they are experiencing does not necessarily mean they have a spread . I am going to let others jump in here as they can do this part better than me.

I think I read around 60% of bowel cancer patients have a mutation on P53 something to do with dna . I will need to go back and check that . No one in my mum’s family had it either . But keep in mind it is a cancer which can be very treatable and hopefully we can lessen some of the fear . 

On the pain front my mum actually has had a spread to her liver and lungs at separate times . No symptoms whatsoever. So I do think it’s all so overwhelming and the mind goes into overdrive. Fear is a very difficult emotion. 

I should also stay my mum’s been at this since 2009 and despite a spread at diagnosis lives a very good life . Bowel cancer is fortunate in that regard as even a spread can have lots of treatment options . 
    But not knowing what your dealing with is tough and I hope we can help you through this part and give you the support you need.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi and a warm welcome to the board from me. The waiting for scans and meetings is  very stressful but hopefully your appointment will come through quickly. Before the current situation the Gold Standard Treatment seemed to be that all the initial appointments were all within 2 weeks of the last one so hopefully they are still trying to meet that target.

If it is confirmed as cancer then the MDT (multi disciplinary team) will meet and the various consultants that will be involved will discuss your case and decide on a treatment plan. They will then discuss this with you and things will feel a little better then. 

In the meantime please stay away from google - it is out of date, misleading and downright scary in places. Stay on here and the Bowel cancer uk Board - you can ask anything you want - there is nothing too daft or embarrassing. If you click on people’s names then their profile page may show their own journey to date - I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in 2016 and I’m currently still cancer free. Bowel Cancer is very treatable nowadays especially if caught early.

Why me? Please don’t try and find a reason or you will worry yourself into the ground - my oncologist told me that there is no reason - it’s just bad luck. If there is spread then it is still treatable but try and cross that bridge if you get to it - thoughts are not facts so please don’t make yourself poorly worrying about a problem that doesn’t exist - it won’t change the outcome but will make you feel under the weather and cause you sleepless nights.

Please keep posting and let us know how you’re doing and we’ll be here to help you through this.

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • I agree with court and Karen. Press on my name to see my history, similar to yours. If you have any questions please ask. Take care

• Hi, I had my colonoscopy yesterday. They found 2 lesions in the lower bowel which they think are likely to be cancerous and have sent samples away. He also couldn’t get the camera right round the bowel as there were 2 blockages. I’m waiting for a blood test and a MRI scan. Never in a million years did I see myself in this position. It was picked up due to me lacking in iron. 
    Kept waking in the night. I don’t know how I feel. Just looking forward to lockdown easing too. I’d love to keep in touch with you.

• I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer in December I no wot your going through its very hard to deal with but please stay positive. It took the hospital 2 weeks from colonoscapy to seeing an oncologist having treatment now .I had the same thoughts why me crying every day not mowing wot to tell the children it does get easier as the weeks go by try stay strong and positive helen x

• Thank you everyone for your replies. I am so thankful I have this forum to share my feelings and will keep you posted on what happens next. I find my feelings come in waves from feeling positive to absolute fear.   Just got to take each day as it comes xx

• Hi Craig, 

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer just before Christmas and started my treatment of chemotherapy/radiotherapy for 28 days two weeks ago. All is going well so far and my oncologist is expecting me to have a full response to my treatment so fingers crossed.

It is a very worrying time but the waiting is the hardest part. I feel much more positive now that my treatment has started. Please click on my user name to view my journey so far. I’m happy to help in any way that I can. 

Take care,  

Etta 

• Hello cagz - welcome - it’s nice to meet you. I went to my GP end of Jan this year with what I thought was piles. I was referred for a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with rectal cancer 2 weeks later. I’ve had scans and I saw the Oncologist on Thursday this week and told that because my tumour is in an awkward place I will be having a combination of low dose chemo and radiotherapy to shrink the tumour with a view to surgery after that. Like you - the waiting for the scan results was the worst but I’ve been extremely lucky to be seen and treated so quickly. I live in Oxford and they have a dedicated cancer centre. I thought why me - but in my case my Dad died of Bowel cancer (20yrs ago) so it quickly became why not me! Although I’m younger than he was. I hope you get some answers soon and have your mind put at rest. Take care. Judy x

• Hi Cagz, diiagnosed last June. Went for consultation in March but went into first lock down that’s why I had to wait. Everything then was done at speed. I had chemo radiation and I had a complete response, I will be followed  up every 3 months. It is the waiting that is the worst. It is frightening and I phoned the Macmillan support line a lot. Sending hugsx