New diagnosis

• 23 replies
  • 166 subscribers

Hi All.  Had colonscopy on Friday after positive bowel cancer screening test, suspicious polyps, biopsies taken, urgent CT scan.  I'm terrified but trying to stay positive.  I'm 62 and have never been in hospital (save when I had my three gorgeous sons) and never had any treatment before.  Not sleeping so waiting for call from GP to maybe prescribe something other than chamomile tea - especially if the MDT reveals something sinister.  Does this situation sound familiar and how are you doing now?  Hubby has been amazingly supportive as have our boys.

• Hi, I have just been diagnosed with rectal cancer following colonoscopy, had my mri and ct and both showed no signs of cancer, which is positive, having my stress walk test Wednesday and preop this week, fingers crossed surgery next week, still terrified x

• That's good it hasn't spread.  That also worries me about the CT - whether they will find something elsewhere.  I hope all goes well and surgery goes ahead - at least that will be out of the way and onwards and upwards afterwards! x

• Hi , you are at a difficult time when so much is unknown. The first thing you need to know is that bowel cancer is very treatable especially when caught early. Once all the test results are in you will be give given a treatment plan, which will give you focus. Do write any questions down & if you can’t take anyone with you make notes. I was diagnosed with cancer in my sigmoid colon in Dec 2018 at the age of 58. See my profile for details, but following treatment I received clear scans a year ago and am currently undergoing second year screening. At the time of diagnosis I was fit & healthy with no symptoms apart from occasional bleeding. I found it best to take each day & each step of the treatment at a time. Draw support from your loved ones, use the various organisations including MacMillan & know that you will find a lot of support in this community. I find cocoa & a warm bath helps me sleep when I’m struggling to do so, also a lavender pillow spray. Message me if you’d like to. Let us know how you get on. I’ll be thinking of you. 

• Finally found a similar story to mine. I had colonoscopy last Tuesday. Told it looked malignant. CT scan booked for the next day. I remember lying under the scanner thinking ‘what are you going to find?’ As I started to be scared of every twinge I’ve had over the last month.

My colorectal nurse has been amazing and when she realised how anxious I was waiting for results, she asked consultant to squeeze me in on Friday. I’ve never been so terrified in my life. Surgery is planned for 25th March. It’s all I think about. Struggling to sleep and eat. But I’m less likely to burst into tears at any moment now.

I hope you get your results soon. It’s definitely easier knowing what the path ahead looks like, rather than being flung into the  unknown!

• Just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you. I must have mistyped the date. I had my op last Monday 15th. I have a telephone appointment on Friday to find out results and if I need chemo.

I’m sore and tired and don’t feel prepared for the next hurdle yet. Yet I hate not knowing. 

• Aww. The op takes it out of you mentally and physically doesn’t it? Fingers crossed that the results are good. If you do need chemo then you can discuss it with the oncologist. I think they like to start it within 10 weeks of your op so you would have time to build your strength back up but cross that bridge when and if you get to it. For now focus on starting to get your strength back up and at the same time give yourself a pat on the back for getting over the op hurdle.

Please let us know how it goes on friday

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • I was diagnosed in December 2020 age 41 with stage 3 bowel cancer with 17 lymph nodes infected.  As a non drinker non smoker healthy rarely eating red meat and if i did it was lean not processed.  Sadly cancer can just happen is all doctors say to me.  There is a lot doctors can do and i pray that you will get the treatment and surgery you need to cure this.  Doctors and people say dont worry but until you know the diagnosis its all that consumes you.  Try and take comfort in your family and spend your days what you love doing most.  One thing i wish id been warned about before my bowel resection was that my bowels would never be the same again.  There are so many foods i am intolerable to now and it's hard to find a balance.  So for now i'd eat what you love and be kind to yourself because the surgery and treatment is a rough road ahead but your never alone however sometimes it may feel that way we're all here with you dancing with the devil trying to find our way through the dark days to make it to brighter ones. Zopiclone is good medication for the insomnia.

• Hi Freckles.  I hope your surgery went well and you are well on the mend.  I had a right hemicolectomy on the 18th March.  Will know next week if I need chemo.  I was exactly the same with my CT scan - just didn't know what they were going to find.  Everything was so speedily done which is amazing but also very scary as I thought they must "know" something before they actually did!!!!  Take care.

• Thank you so much for your reply.  I am sorry for my late response.  As you said, the not knowing is all consuming.  Hope all goes well for you.