Just diagnosed with rectal cancer so scared

• 28 replies
  • 173 subscribers

Hello 

I’ve just had a colonoscopy and a 4cm tumour was found in my rectum. Biopsy’s were taken but I was told she was certain what it was. I’m waiting for scans to see if it has spread and an MRI scan. I’m so scared and thinking is this the end for me now? I’m 48 with 2 young children. How would they cope if I died. I’m heartbroken. Please I just need to chat with someone going through the same x

• Hi scared Mummy, sorry I replied to the wrong person earlier, duh. I’m doing well thanks, just about to start chemo session number 4, not great fun but the symptoms are manageable so happy to get on with it. It’s like someone flicks a switch and your 90 years old all of a sudden! I think you right about longer time, our life’s have changed dramatically but it’s amazing how we can normalise things after a while. Completely understand the kids situation , luckily my boys are 22 and 18 so less dependant but no end of normalising will stop that worry.

• I'm so sorry. Waiting definitely the worst but now you have diagnosis you are on your way. Even in the height of pandemic after Christmas my op was done in 8 weeks and now 2 weeks into recovery. Even if it's spread they will treat it. Having young family is really hard. Don't exclude them . You sound like a really strong person. You will get there. Sending hugs and positive thoughts x

• I thought exactly the same before my scan. Every twinge I have had, I thought was a sign it had spread. My scans shows that this is not true! My anxiety is through the roof though.

ive been for my pre op assessment today. That has brought home what a big operation it really is. I thought as it was key hole, it wasn’t anything major! How wrong was I?!

Thank you bigdaddy for all your support words.

• hi scared mummy, small steps to a healthier lifestyle at the very least help our state of mind so anything you can manage is great. Saying that it’s so tough when we have all this stress and just want to curl up with some comfort food. As for me yes I’m doing ok, the treatment is a real drag with annoying side effects but all manageable. I think I’m coping pretty welI but I have to make a conscious effort to ignore my worse case scenario, that will just ruin my day. We deserve good days right now so tell yourself your going to be fine and make the day the best it possibly can. Then you just do it all again, every day until you actually are better! Simples haha

• Hi,

I had a very similar diagnosis back in 2016.  

It's not an easy road but my advice is to just take one thing at a time.  While I knew that I'd likely have to go through several months and different forms of treatment, I just concentrated on the next stage and things were much less daunting.

As others have said, bowel cancer is very treatable these days. Don't google if you can avoid it. Stick to sites such as this or the official Cancer information outlets, NHS sites, etc. The booklets from McMillan are very good too but just read them as and when you need.

I see you are still young. So, if you are fit otherwise, do continue to exercise and live as healthily as you can. That way, you'll cope much better with surgery and any other treatments later on.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi sorry to hear this my father is in same situation he is 67 he had ct colonoscopy scan and mri Then he had colonoscopy they took 4 biopsies it was found he has 10 cm tumour in the recal they told us then it’s cancer He’s opinion was it would prob be surgery and has diverscular disease the waiting is the worse He has had ct scan of chest I’m assuming that’s to see if it’s spread it is so worrying 

• So well put, JohnnyJ.

One day at a time is a huge help.

• Hi there

i am at the same stage except I have just had a ct scan to see if it has spread

i was told that it has not gone anywhere else so it can be good news as well

it is okay to be scared it’s natural 

just be calm until your diagnosis 

grum60