Update on my Rectal Cancer

• 4 replies
  • 129 subscribers

I finished my chemo radiation on the 14th May 2024 and in the first week I lost 14lbs in weight as I couldn't look at food and  I even couldn't drink water as over a period of 5 weeks I had to drink 400ml upping it to 500ml- 20mins before my treatment. I have just started to get my appetite back.

On the 8th July had my first CT scan with contrast and will be having my MRI scan on the 21st July.  

I have a telephone appointment with my oncologist on the 24th July finding out my fate. At the back of my mind I know my next step will be an operation to remove my tumour and with it being close to one of my lymph nodes I was told by my surgeon when I saw him a few months ago that that would be removed and also I could end up with a colostomy bag as well. 

I know there are people worse off than me but I am feeling very anxious.

While I was diagnosed with cancer my husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia with Alzheimer so at the moment I have a lot going on and sometimes I feel very alone. 

All I can do is keep strong and hopefully at the end of this I will be back on my horse 

• Hi ,

You aren't alone, I too had a huge amount going on when I was diagnosed (dealing with the loss of my step-daughter).  I'm glad I joined this group as I'm finding it very supportive and I hope you will too.

Keep strong, just take that next small step and keep going. I can't really say much other than that, I just wanted to wish you all the best and to say that you've come to the right place.

Best wishes

• Hi  

Well done on completing the radiotherapy . But of course you feel anxious . That is entirely understandable. You have never gone through this process before and managing fears of the unknown is very mum part of this . 
    Hopefully you can get a good chat with the surgical team .

Remember your GP is there to support you . Macmillan has also teamed up Bupa to offer six free counselling session . Dealing with the mental health aspects of going through treatment is very real and needs support too .

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you so much for your kind words