July catch up thread 2024 !

• 18 replies
  • 132 subscribers

So here we are in July . I will be honest it feels more like winter where I am . 
For any new person this thread is for encouragement . To see how people are tackling life away from cancer or in spite of treatments.

Mum has managed to contract covid so has been a bit rough over the weekend .

However when the time is right more projects will follow .

Take care everyone ,

Court 

• So sorry your mum has Covid  You all have enough to cope with without that! Sending hugs xx

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

• Oh thank you  . She has ended up in hospital but turned a corner and busy eating an iced bun and had her hair done . 
    Best foot forward . 
    Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Well we have been trying to avoid all things cancer but no success at all .

Another Ct scan and results and before we knew it the palliative care team were in .

Well a snap shot at my mum does not tell the whole story so we decided to head home . Not sure they were too pleased as her vertebrae fractures are troublesome .

So a quick rush to buy a smaller mattress and a transfer rail for the bed and she managed well . First time I have actually seen her down . So in true mum style we stopped on the way home and had lunch out . Beautiful sunshine , house all organised. Carers coming back in and nice conversations away from hospitals .

Funnily enough the palliative team did not have much to offer for now . 

So onwards we go ! 
    Her tomatoes are growing well . Will try and get a few photos tomorrow.

Hope everyone else got some of the sunshine today .

Sat outside tonight and ate some strawberries.

Court 

• Well done England with your football results .

Looking forward to the Final .

Also looking forward to the Olympics. I like a good race .

We have made good progress since discharge . The rehab OT was out and mum is already discharged and doing more every day with a nice lunch out planned for Friday . She has had a lot of services and visitors . However she is also chatting as though there is no tomorrow. 

When she started this journey 15 years ago we all committed to living a good life despite a difficult diagnosis and credit to her she keeps spinning the focus back to that . 

Rehab Occupational therapist has been fabulous. Lots of positive encouragement. 
    Take care everyone and if you have blue sky and sunshine let the rest of us know where to go ! Grinning
    Court 

• All the best to the England team tonight . Grinning

• Thanks  That’s really sweet(pea) of you. Please send some of that lovely sunshine too - mizzly drizzly here Frowning2️ x 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • They still did a good job   getting to the final .

We have to content ourselves with having fun further down the list . Smiley

We have a little Harvest ! Rofl

And some colour .

A few bright days instead of the rain has been most welcome .

Mum’s care team are just great  . Spotted a slight change in her behaviour and were straight on the phone . One dip stick later and Antibiotics started for a UTi .  She was not getting this type of care in the last ward she was on . 

Anyway in  true mum style meds taken and off out to her friends for tea with my sister . Not before she got me to get her a nice necklace to match her outfit . Standards matter . Rofl
    I just think our approach did not fit with the last ward . We are all about rehab and staying active , keeping her quality of life high .

Have a good day everyone and hope you get some sunshine .

Court 

• And the sun has left us and the rain returned . Boo . But there was a beautiful heat in the air yesterday so wheelchair out and off wee went !

• Your mum is remarkable  , an inspiration to us all.

I am currently awaiting a text f on my daughter in law to tell me that my son is through his op for sigmoid carcinoma. He has had radiotherapy to shrink the rather large tumour, and is having laparoscopic surgery with robotic assistance. He should recover  icy more quickly then I did. Waiting is awful!

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!