July catch up thread 2024 !

• 18 replies
  • 132 subscribers

So here we are in July . I will be honest it feels more like winter where I am . 
For any new person this thread is for encouragement . To see how people are tackling life away from cancer or in spite of treatments.

Mum has managed to contract covid so has been a bit rough over the weekend .

However when the time is right more projects will follow .

Take care everyone ,

Court 

• Hope you have had that call by now  and he is safely in recovery .

The waiting is really rotten . You do wonder how we all get through these tough days , both for the patient and the love ones but the body seems to have a resilience to it . 

You will be a wonderful support to him in his recovery .

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you  He had a very long difficult surgery, as the XRT did not shrink the tumour as much as the scan indicated, and they had to take a lot more bowel out. He has a temp stoma. He has recovered very well, has been for a walk, and named his stoma. We await histology. I feel as if a weight has lifted off me.

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

• Well done the surgeon and well done your son for going through it .

That was unfortunate and I am sure the surgeon was disappointed too but wonderful it was operable . 
    I totally get it . The relief is wonderful and he can look forward now to a full recovery .

Have a restful weekend .

Court 

• Well somebody apparently fancies a roll in bacon ! So who am I to deny her it . Off I go to collect her and bring her up to sit outside .

Court 

• I am really distressed. Text from my son indicated problems, but I did not find out until this evening that his care has been abysmal. Ileus, no drip, vomiting, no NG tube, wound infection, and the nurses are giving him meds orally! No DVT socks either. Words fail me.Fortunately my daughter in law is on his case. She can be a Rottweiler when necessary.Thank goodness she is there. I’m very sorry for the other pts who have no one to fight for them.

• Hi   

Thats so distressing and so unnecessary. I hope they improve things quickly for him . 
    We have had our first experience of poor quality care for the first time this month after fifteen years and I share your sense of distress . So unlike me but I invited a nurse to stay out the room if she could not control her behaviour . Mum told not to make a sound in the night despite lying on multiple fractures with just paracetamol. I took her home . So I fully understand this distress as you know how wrong on so many levels this is and the helplessness that accompanies it .

Good on your daughter in law but really it so unfair that she has to at such a stressful time .

So harsh on you when you know the consequences to those errors ! 

Hope things pick up quickly for him .

Thoughts to you too !

Much love Court x 

• Thank you  . The way that nurse treated your mum was just terrible. Good for you telling her to leave the room and taking your mum home. I hope she is feeling better. I guess the bacon roll indicates she is!

•  
    Very relieved to get text and phone call this am to say that son has turned a corner, is eating, bowel working, and he is feeling human again.