Hello!

• 14 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I have found this forum amazingly helpful during my mums’s diagnosis.

I am writing this (I think!) to see if there has been anyone in a similar position to us.

Mum had a bowel obstruction Mid Feb which was operated on- right hemi colonectmy (pretty sure I’ve spelled that wrong!)

we received the results 2/3 weeks ago: Stage 3 bowel cancer, T4 N2 MX (out of 21 lymph nodes tested 10 came back positive) 

They then also told us she has a ‘huge’ cyst on her liver that they would like to MRI next week to see if it is a tumour instead of a cyst. Still waiting on Oncology appointment.

We haven’t had the best time of getting information, cancelled appointments and drs forgetting to phone us etc. 

How long does the MRI results normally take to come back?

Sending lots of love to everyone out there and positive vibes! X

• We were also told it was in her blood vessels which I hadn’t heard of before.

• Hi Poppy, im in a similar situation to you, had the liver MRI and the results were ready and waiting when we was booked in for oncology 6 days later. Hope you get the results back soon and hope your mum is ok ! 

• Thank you!

Hope you are doing okay also?

x

• So the hospital booked the oncology appointment and scan at the same time, with 6 days inbetween so when i went to oncology the results were back. Hope you arent waiting too long.

Also from what ive learnt so far, the cancer can travel through blood vessels to nearby organs, usually liver or lung. originally i thought it was only lymph nodes that could cause spread. 

Really hoping it is only a cyst but please dont worry, there are a lot of treatments available for spread to liver. This is a new thing for me. Ive been a silent watcher on this site for a few weeks, trying to look for positivity, google was getting me in a state.

Hope this helps x

• Thank you! 

I might give them a ring tomorrow and see if her oncology appointment is live yet. 

I am the same, I’ve also used the chat to nurse function and found that really helpful too. 

I hope you are doing as well as you can be, always here for a chat x

• I have used the live chat a couple of times and found  it really helpful, been trying to find someone in a similar situation to the one im in though to chat to, sent you a friends request if you dont mind so we can chat? 

thanks x

• Think I’ve sent you a private message x

• Hi Poppy95,

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis, I also had an emergency right hemicolectomy in November 23. I had stage 3 bowel cancer, T3, L1, V1, N1b, G3 MSI high. 2 out of the 24 lymph nodes were affected. I have just undergone 4 rounds of adjuvant chemotherapy and my first post chemotherapy CT scan, results on Wednesday! 

I have everything crossed that it is a cyst on your mums liver and the cancer hasn’t spread further. 

• Welcome  ,

And well done you for supporting your mum through this .

If you are having trouble accessing information you may be able to ask if the Gp has them . They are often informed or certainly should be of the outcome . My mum has been scanning for 14 years and it can depend on the staffing levels at the radiology departments. Holidays can sometimes impact that but not always . 

Glad you have made your way here . Dr Google is not always up to date and there are so many variables with stats . My mum was diagnosed at 67 . Her ability to endure treatment is very different to her now winging her way round to 82 , although credit to her she had treatment last year but a much more pruned back version. All of this goes into the same stats survival groups . But it’s definitely not comparative when other health issues are more prevalent. 

My mum has chemotherapy prior to surgery as she had a significant spread in her liver . Chemotherapy was so powerful it was a complete game changer for her . Although not always pleasant. Your mum’s team will decided if she could benefit from this as a belts and braces approach where they target any stray cells to prevent recurrence.

There are good protocols that govern decisions and they are made with a pile of research behind them that drives good outcomes .

Lots has changed since my mum was diagnosed and the teams really do work behind the scenes pulling things together . But I was surprised initially to see cues the length of a check in at our local airport so you do need to advocate at times . But I think you are already doing a great job getting informed .

take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Rac,

Thank you so much for replying!

thank you for sharing your experience with me- have everything crossed for you tomorrow. 

x