Latest health review - some good news for a change!

• 4 replies
  • 134 subscribers

Hello all!

So, I spent last weekend at the hospital (in the hotel, not as an inpatient, thankfully) to have a few tests done. The upshot so far is that the colonoscopy shows I am most definitely cancer free in that zone which gives us all so much trouble. Five and a half years, more or less, since the original resection! The relief is huge. I am still waiting on the results of the full torso CT scan, though. I have some worrying symptoms, and am not going to count any chickens until that comes back all clear. Still, I am so glad I can count bowel cancer out once again.

Interestingly, though, the consultant doing the procedure volunteered an opinion without my prompting at all. He said it was his view that I have LARS. Now, I have been convinced of this for quite a while, a couple of years at least, but this has been the first time a doctor who is looking after my care has actually said as much. So now it is official. What this does mean is that, now it is in my medical notes and accepted, I can start getting some HELP with the situation, and not spend so many days popping Imodium instants so much that all my food tastes vile. It's progress... of a sort.

I also had the new bowel prep drinks for the colonoscopy. Not moviprep this time. The new stuff claimed to be in mango, and fruit punch, flavours. They were both truly horrifyingly disgusting. But my squeezy sports bottle trick meant I got both down in just two gulps each, so the torment was blessedly short lived. Also, they were 500 ml each, not a litre each, which helped. It did not work as fast, nor as effectively, as moviprep though. I am unconvinced that this Plenvu stuff that the NHS here is using is in any way an improvement...

Watch this space for CT results, when they show up!

Robin

•   Morning Robin. What a lovely post to wake up to! Cancer free after over 5 years is great news and you’ve found someone who acknowledges the existence of LARS. It would be great if you could keep us posted with any help that you get given? I know they say that you might experience a new normal after recovery but LARS can make things very unpredictable and finding a balance with loperamide can be tricky. My new consultant told me that I should only take them on special occasions?! There is a fb page for LARS sufferers that you can join but I don’t think any ones come up with a magic cure.

Hope your others scans come back ok

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • So far , so good  . And I wish you every success with the next part .

Gosh time flies.

It does not seem so long ago when you first joined in the chat here !

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Well, I may have spoken too soon. Blood tests have been sent back to my GP. I do not know exactly what they have shown, but it is serious enough that my GP wants to see me in person to discuss them. In ths case, it refers to my liver function. And given the state of GP appointments, the EARLIEST appointment is May 1st.  So. I am not all free and easy yet!

• Oh  I’d like to hope that it isn’t too serious given how far away your appointment is? I have to have annual liver function tests because I’m on blood thinners and something flagged up one year but was fine when I had it re-done a month later?!

Deep breath and everything crossed that it’s something and nothing

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm