Bowel cancer CARERS, FAMILY & FRIENDS chat

• 1581 replies
  • 157 subscribers

Hi everyone

I'm Steph from the Community team Slight smile

Here is a new thread for carers, family and friends. This is a space for you to chat, share experiences and support each other through issues related to your loved ones bowel cancer.  The previous thread will shortly be locked as it was getting rather long which can make it difficult to navigate.

Please remember that we also have other dedicated spaces on the Community for carers, family and friends. These spaces exist so you can support each other away from members of the forum who might be dealing with their own cancer diagnosis: 

Family and friends forum

Carers only forum

Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum

You would be welcome to set up another new thread like this in one of the above forums. Please just let us know if you would like any help?

We hope you will continue to find lots of support from each other and the Community. We're here to help, so please do let us know if you have any questions or support needs by emailing us at community@macmillan.org.uk 

•  Hi Pauline. It does not matter when you joined we are all in the same position with our loved ones and I find I have made some great friends on here with the support I need. Les started his 6th cycle of chemo so I expect over the next couple of days his tiredness will become even worse. 

huge hugs to everyone. Back on later this afternoon.  Maggie xx

• Hope all goes well with the chemo Maggie, as Barry has had no treatment I don’t really know what the side effects are like. 

barry had bloods done at gp last week and results came back yesterday saying his iron was ok. I had pinned my hopes on low iron being the reason for him feeling so weak but it appears not so I am a bit disappointed. It must be due to his poor eating at the moment and that is a real problem. 

Did you see court’s suggestion and kind offer to set a new thread monthly?

busy day for me today as I look after my 2 year old granddaughter, hard work but lovely. Not sure how much longer I will be able to do it though if Barry does not get some strength back. 

I hope everyone has a good day.

Pauline Kissing heartKissing heartKissing heart

• Hi Pauline. He started his chemo again yesterday. His side effects are he sneezes a lot the first day, his voice goes funny, his face, hands and feet go funny.  He cannot stand to touch anything cold or too hot, even drinking cold drinks affects him. Not too bad considering. He also gets very tired quickly. He does have a positive attitude and that gets him through though. We stopped looking after the grandchildren endnote he started chemo just in case he caught anything as the youngest aged 3 catches everything going. She is also very naughty. Yes I saw court’s suggestion.  

what does everyone think about the suggestion as the thread does get very long. 

off now in the shower and tidy up to get ready to go to Newcastle (mother in laws bungalow) which I am not looking forward to.

look after yourselves Maggie xx

• Morning everyone glad your visit was ok Vicky must be so difficult not knowing what each day is bringing bless hiim but you are doing great well done with the driving.Maggie Les is doing well number 6 Simon only had 1 chemo unfortunately but he has still been left with neuropathy in hands and feet . Pauline I insisted doctor's did blood because Simon is tired all the time the only thing came back boarder line liver 6 weeks re test what the heck 6 weeks so again just watching and it makes me sad some days that they are not throwing everything at him .Well on a different note help Simon has invited a lady and her daughter who has terminal cancer to us for lunch don't know them but they have got in touch with him from his younger days thanks Simon so I have a puppy biting lunch to do for strangers I just hope he is going to talk and feels awake anyone want to puppy sit for me this is going to be fun love to everyone who is finding times hard seems a lot of doom and gloom around us at minute so I am still find small things in the day to make me smile like I managed a shower without the dog around my feet bliss lol love to everyone on here you really are doing well xx

• Morning Everyone! 

Well another day. Today is a bittersweet one for me as it is our wedding anniversary. Thirty seven years married. I am going to the hospital today as per and he will just probably be sleeping. I said to him last night before I came away do you know what day it is tomorrow and he said this is Tuesday so tomorrow must be Wednesday and I said yes but its a special day do you know what and he said no. I said it's our anniversary and then he said oh that's right the 21st June is our anniversary. I said how can we forget that with it being the longest day (summer solstice) so see what today brings. William been in already before work and said Jay was just lying snoring his head off which is pretty much all he did yesterday as well but I need to be there especially today. Can feel it all starting to tell on me now. It's not the going to bed at night it's just getting up the next morning. Speak later. 

Vicky xx

• Vicky Happy Wedding Anniversary to you how wonderful 37 years will be nice to just sit with him today I hope he wakes for you hold his hand.I remember going to the hospital dreading walking in the room but he is still here love to you both xx

• Just found my way to this thread. Happy Anniversary to you both. Hope he wakes when you are visiting and can have a little chat. can’t believe it’s getting towards the end of June already.-

Up and out this morning for a little walk before breakfast. Paul in hospital now and waiting to see if patches sorted. I’m off to counselling this afternoon but I feel a bit better this week - don’t know why don’t know how.

Take care hugs to everyone on this awful journey

Helen x

• Hello Everyone!

Came home from the hospital and I am so emotional. Tears are streaming down my face as I type this. Jay has been sleeping most of the afternoon I was there he knew I was there but just kept falling asleep and I could get nothing out of him all the time I was there. I think it is because it is our anniversary today and this is the first we have more or less had to let it pass. We have always done something on our anniversary be it a meal out or something and it is so heartbreaking to know that this is probably going to be our last. I took him in cards anyway and just sat them on the trolley. Didn't drive down today just not feeling right just as well because I may have been too much a mess to drive back. He said he would like to see our little dog and I asked the other day if that could be arranged and they came back to me today to say yes that can be arranged but he can only be in for about five minutes and then out again I will need to arrange for someone to be with me so they can take him back out again. Said this to Jay when he did actually wake up and he said he didn't want to see him now and it will be too much hassle so don't really know what he wants now. I just do not know what to do. I am just so upset tonight.

xx

• So sorry to hear you’ve had a rough day, but Jay knew you were there with him so that’s good even though he drifted in and out of sleep. It’s so upsetting for us to see husbands like this and know there isn’t anything you can do but be there - I really feel for you, especially when it’s your anniversary.

Have a good cry and a cuppa and I’m sending you a hug

Helen x

• Vicky I am so sorry bless you just let it all out now you are home wish we could take away your pain sending hugs xx