Op to remove all my rectum

• 54 replies
  • 138 subscribers

Hi, firstly I thank everybody who has supported me through this period of not knowing what to expect, after being seen by the Manchester consultant, who told me before the sigmoidoscopy that he wouldn't be able to to the op locally in a TEMS procedure,  I'm now back to my local hospital and the consultant I first saw, Chris Smart. I have to say he's gone out of his way to let me know what's going on, and the colorectal nurses at my local hospital are superb. I now know I need to have a big op, as of yet I don't know what it's called, I see thw consultant next week, when I also have mu pre op. I know its in through the stomach to remove all of my rectum, my tumor is low down, only 4cms into my bottom. Which apparently is not so good as they're not sure if there will be enough left to be able to attach the ends, if that makes sense, and reverse the stoma, theres also a node that's got to be taken too, I trust him that he will do his best, and there's a 40% chance of it being permanent. I've had a hysterectomy that I flew through. SarahH21 says it's probably not like the hysterectomy recovery. Thank you Sarah, I'm sure many of you have had some sort of procedure that's similar, my tumor is T2a N1. I'd like to know other people's recovery, any problems that you've had, as I say, I'm a newbie and I don't know the name of the op, but I'm just glad that I now have a treatment plan, the waiting was horrible. If anyone can give me any help with recovery, ways to help with pain or your experiences. I'm also dealing with a back spasm now, my kitten decided to trip me up, but a couple of days rest will sort that.I am already on fentanyl patches, 100mcg/hour, with tramadol for breakthrough, and amitriptylene at night, with diazepam to help muscles relax and help me sleep. I can't take gabapentin or pregabalin, they send me weird, I thought I'd been asleep one afternoon, and apparently I had been out in the rain, in slippers and nightshirt digging the garden and trying to get in the car to post a letter, I was glad that Steve was there to stop me. Who knows what I'd have done if I'd been alone!!! Anyway, I'm waffling, I do that a lot!! If anyone can help with their experience of the op both straight after the op and then recovery at home, and any hints to make it easier I'd be very grateful. Everyone has been so nice on here, amd propped me up when I was slipping. My island is now no longer getting smaller and I'm now floating instead of sinking  Thank you, sorry for waffling.  Rosie

• Hi . I’ll try and post more later but the op is called an Abdominoperineal Resection or APR so you could type that in the search box at the top of the screen? I think  is going to be having the same op too - her post is below 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/bowel-colon-rectum-cancer-forum/f/general/244442/abdominoperitoneal-resection

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
    • Thanks Kareno62,  I dont know how to change the top of the screen, but I will try, and thank you Rosie 
  • Hi . There should be a long white box with a magnifying glass to the left right at the top of the page? Type in a key word like abdominoperineal or Apr then your enter/return key and it will bring up previous posts with that word in. You can click on the post to read it x

• Hi 

The reason I said that the recovery would be very different between a hysterectomy and removal of rectum is that they are such different surgeries. I was opened up for a hysterectomy, but it couldn’t do ahead due to radiation damage, so I didn’t  actually have the surgery, but did have an open abdominal cut to attempt it. I was stapled up and sent home. A few weeks later I later had much larger surgery, again open abdominal, involving removal of my rectum among other things, and it was very different.

Once you find out exactly what operation you are having and what it’s called, I’m sure people will have gone through it and be able to give more information. For example, although I’ve had my rectum removed, I haven’t had my anus removed, so I don’t have a “barbie butt”. So there are differences in terms of exactly what does happen in surgery, depending on what type you have. 

I have a permanent colostomy, so the issue of reversal was never an option for me, but I’m fine with that and glad it turned out that way for me.

I’m glad you feel that you’re not sinking so much any more. It’s the unknown that is more frightening I think, and once you know what’s happening things do become easier to deal with-at least that’s how I felt!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thanks SarahH21, I will be seeing my surgeon this next week, qnd will get all the details of what he is doing, o don't think om having the "barbie bum" but I know I have to have all my rectum removed, but as I said, my tumor is low down and there's a lymph node that needs come out. Thank you very much for all your advice, it really helps, I can see a way forward now, whilst I was waiting it seemed never ending limbo. Rosiexx

• Good luck Miss Tee 

keep us all updated. 
    sending you a have hug x

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks Artsie, I will be asking q lot of questions,  if you think of any really important ones, please let me know. I'm seeing the consultant on Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'll keep this updated, um just glad to be moving forward instead of trading water. You, PattyK, Court and so many ither people have been so helpful and very kind, to someone who knows nothing about cancer, I can tell you anything you wish to know about lumbar spine problems, spinal fusion, taking the metalwork out amd so much more, I have a feeling I'll be getting a crush course this week. I didn't know what to ask when I first found out, then I joined this group and found out what questions I did ask weren't the right ones!!! Thank you, to everyone who's helped me this far, I will let everyone know what's going on. xxx

• The removal of my rectum left me with what is charmingly called a “rectal stump” inside, so just a little bit! I never asked questions before my op and probably should have but it was such big surgery I didn’t want to frighten myself out of going ahead with it.

Just make sure the surgeon explains exactly what he will be doing, and don’t be afraid to ask him to go over anything you’re not sure about. 

I really hope goes well at your meeting and you have all the details you need going forward.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Sarah you had the mega operation. You are pretty amazing travelling to the Maldives with two stoma’s. Not many have what you’ve had.

Mary if you click on our names you can read our bios. Sarah’s has had a lot of hospital time. So have others my op was like a flat road. 
    We will be thinking of you. Let us know what the plan is. 
    Take care 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Well, yes it was pretty mega Ann! But I was only in hospital for 2 weeks and have never been readmitted since, so it has basically been without any complications needing any medical intervention or further treatment which is the main thing.

I run a private Facebook group (for women only) facing my surgery or who have had it-you might be surprised to discover there are quite a few of us who have had it for various cancers. I felt there wasn’t enough support out there for this particular surgery, so decided to start my own group and it’s been amazing and so helpful to us all. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum