Posterior extenteration surgery update

• 23 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is as well as they can be.  

I had my fitness test a couple of weeks ago, all good and i am low risk, iron was low so had an iron infusion, feel heaps better, didn't realise how tired I was!

Surgeon called today and I'm booked in for surgery Thursday next week!!  Not long for someone like me who likes to be super organised!  Timing not great at the start of the summer holidays but I'm so grateful that they have agreed to operate.  

My coccyx lit up on the PET scan so they are also going to  remove it and the lesion on the liver is marginally more conspicuous but still very small and will need to be investigated after this surgery.  So, all in all, feel incredibly lucky.  It's a long road ahead but I'm looking forward to cracking on with it!

Best wishes all,

Michelle

• Yes, I was kind of expecting a recurrence in the liver, I just hope that it's in a place that can be treated but can't think about that just now.  It's positive that it looks stable at the minute, pretty good as my resection was 8 months ago and I've had no chemo.  Also, the surgeon said my liver was in top notch condition so hopefully they'll be happy to go in again.

Yes, def good to get the primary out, anxious and excited in equal measure!

Take care and I will update on the other side!

Michelle xx

• All the best Michelle. I’m hoping all will go very smoothly for you and look forward to hearing from you afterwards!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Your in my thought  and will be keeping a close eye on this thread .

Looking forward to hearing you are safely through surgery and resting in HD .

All our love and support ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hope all goes well today  x

• Good morning all!  I'm a week on from surgery!  It was a long surgery (14 hrs) and spent 3 nights in Intensive care which I have to say was horrendous, moved then to HDU and am now comfortable in a ward.  The surgeons seem happy and done everything they set out to do.  It turned out more invasive than I was expecting, but, that primary is finally in the bin! Lots of healing now, I'm still not allowed to sit down and have to lie on my sides but day by day I'm improving.  NG tube out, 3 drains left to go and waiting for my stoma to work.  I'm eating and walking, bloods are on the up.  Feeling so blessed and am being so well looked after by the fantastic team in Southampton. Xx

• Excellent news . I have been waiting for this post . You have endured incredibly well . I am sure you have come through so much but hearing your primary is now in the bin is fabulous news. Just where it belongs .

Having watch where you started , what you have come through and now to see where you are at is humbling .

Keep healing , resting and let everyone run after you . It’s your time to let your body recover and get ready for your future holidays , parenting and many , many good days ahead . 
    Take special care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Michelle

Good to hear from you and sounds like you’re doing well post op. That’s a long surgery! Took my colostomy a week to wake up and get going but they weren’t concerned. 

I could hardly move, but you’re walking so that’s very impressive. Long recovery ahead but just take it slow and don’t expect too much too soon. You need a lot of rest and a lot of support, but little improvements are actually quite big milestones in recovery. 

Main thing is the cancer’s out and you can get on with your life. Fantastic news to read your post. Well done!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thank you  and 

I'm home!!!  I can't tel you how lovely it is to be back, I was discharged last night and after an emotional reunion with the kids I got into my comfy bed and couldn't be happier. 

A very long way to go but I think being at home will aid my recovery.

My main worry at the moment is the incontinence, I understand that my bladder was left untouched but probable damage to the nerve endings, so, I'm hopeful that they will eventually regenerate as I currently have a numb pelvic floor!

Anyway, have a lovely weekend all, much love,

Michelle xx

• Hi Michelle

There’s nothing quite like being back in your own bed and having family and familiar surroundings-definitely a big improvement on being in hospital! I hope your bladder issues will improve and it just needs time to get back to normal.

Take things very gently and don’t expect too much from yourself-you’ve been through a lot and have a huge amount of healing to do. But being home is the main thing and everything else will happen in time.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thank you , yes it's early days and hopefully the bladder will improve over time.

I feel the real healing starts now, at home with my family.  I'm not going to push myself and will get plenty of rest.  John's taking the boys out so I'm going to have a nice shower and that's about it!  Thanks for the encouragement, I can't tell you how much you've helped. 

Michelle xx