Posterior extenteration surgery update

• 23 replies
  • 135 subscribers

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is as well as they can be.  

I had my fitness test a couple of weeks ago, all good and i am low risk, iron was low so had an iron infusion, feel heaps better, didn't realise how tired I was!

Surgeon called today and I'm booked in for surgery Thursday next week!!  Not long for someone like me who likes to be super organised!  Timing not great at the start of the summer holidays but I'm so grateful that they have agreed to operate.  

My coccyx lit up on the PET scan so they are also going to  remove it and the lesion on the liver is marginally more conspicuous but still very small and will need to be investigated after this surgery.  So, all in all, feel incredibly lucky.  It's a long road ahead but I'm looking forward to cracking on with it!

Best wishes all,

Michelle

• Hello 

This is it Michelle , the eviction notice of the primary cancer that you have worked so hard to get to .

I will be holding you in my heart and thoughts . I think clinically they know one wee area of micro disease may slip through the net  in the liver as it did with my mum but they were onto it . What is it they say , many steps to Ned !

But this is a major part to move forward to full recovery .

Let them take care of you in hospital for as long as is required .

You will need to get your planning hat on for a good break in the autumn when you will be much further down the road on your recovery .

I will be in touch .

Take special care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Michelle

Not long to wait now, and I completely understand the feeling of being lucky to have the surgery. I know my surgery was different in that it was a total exenteration rather than posterior, but always happy to help if I can, based on my experience.

All best wishes for your surgery and subsequent recovery. It’s tough but very worth it!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you   and , yes, this is what the last 20 months have all been for, I still won't believe it's actually happening until I'm lying on the bed with the cannula in my hand!

He did say that due to the liver, this op is not done with curative intent but it is a step to that, music to my ears!  Although he mentioned if there are any complications following surgery it will delay treatment to the liver but due to my age and fitness he thinks it's unlikely and the lesion in the liver is very small and looks stable.

That's exactly what I was thinking, I will hopefully be recovering well by autumn half term and may be able to have a little holiday.

Did you have an epidural ?  They want me to have one which would be nice after the op but I'm scared of it going in!!  Also, how long were you in for?  He said to me 3-4 weeks.  Not sure yet if I will have 1 bag or 2, until he sees what's what.

I'm glad it's short notice, although I'm running around like a headless chicken, I haven't time to stop and think!!

Xx

• Hi . Just wanted to wish you all the best for your surgery. I had an epidural for my LAR and didn’t feel a thing. They numb the area before anything goes in so you might feel a prick from the anaesthetic needle but it’s no worse than a blood test. 

Take care

Karen x

• Hi Michelle

I had an epidural going in for the surgery and I’m sorry to say I found it awful. I’d had one for the birth of my first daughter so wasn’t worried about it but it was very painful and took ages. In the event it failed and leaked out of my back so I wish I hadn’t had it. When I woke up I was on a pain pump and that was fine. 

I was in hospital for 2 weeks-first 2 nights in hdu, then up to the ward. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thank you so much !  I'm sure the epidural will be fine, they are keen for me to have it so I can work on my lungs better after surgery.   Trying not to think too much about the actual surgery, I'm keeping busy so will have a nice long sleep on Thurs, lol!xx

• Thanks , yes, I've heard similar epidural stories.  I have told them I'm nervous about it and they said they won't persevere if it doesn't go in first attempt.  I also had the pump for my liver op and was fine with that.  I am hoping I will also only be in a couple of weeks and the 3-4 weeks is just cautionary in case of any complications. Xx

• I wish they hadn’t persevered with mine as it didn’t go in first attempt! I think the doctor was new to it if I recall, but it was dreadful, and I’m pretty good with pain and all sorts of nasty things with needles. I do hope you have much more success with it!

I didn’t have any complications, so they were ok to let me go at 2 weeks, but I have to say it was pretty tough in the initial time at home. But covid was just starting to be a thing, and I was discharged on the day the first lockdown was announced. I think they felt I’d be safer at home! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi  my mum

had epidurals both liver resections and found them great . She was pain free for a few days and allowed her to draw breath a bit . Found it a bit hard pain wise as they transitioned her onto oral meds in the surgical ward . She had to stay in HDU whilst it was in but that was a good thing .

Might be dependent on the skill of the anaesthetist  but hers went in no bother at all . 

She was also given little notice and I think once they pulled the surgical team together it was all systems go .

My mum had a further liver resection after her combination bowel and first liver resections . Even after her second resection the liver unit said they would have been happy to go in again . However the microdisease had given up by then .

Six weeks after her combination surgery she went on a local holiday .

Good to get the primary out !

take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Ah, yes, perhaps covid played a part in your early release.  I'm hoping for 2-3 weeks rather than 3-4 but will just have to see how it goes.

I will message after and keep you posted!  Thanks for your time, Michelle. Xx