Colonoscopy without sedation.

• 13 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hello

I am due my first Colonoscopy in 10 days...following a left Hemicolectomy resection in my descending Colon in May this year.

I had my first one last April, with intravenous sedation..but because of the stricture in my Colon, they couldn't advance further than the tumour...hence my diagnosis at that time...& so my surgeon now wants to investigate the whole length. I just remember him giving the diagnosis after the procedure, & just saying 'okay.' I guess the sedation had taken the edge off it all & I was too stupified to take in the information at that time.

It sounds very stupid, but I think I was more frightened of the Colonoscopy - than the actual operation!

This time, I am hoping to drive myself there & back, & endure it...without sedation .but obviously I'm anxious about it....about my pain threshold, yet also being out of control...& possibly making a fool of myself.

Obviously, my Colon has changed somewhat - after 9" were removed. My weird sense of humour allows me to think that surely there will be less colon to manoeuvre through?!

Yet also, because I sometimes experience dull aches in the region...maybe I have adhesions, & perhaps these might be more painful to navigate?!

Just asking if anyone has had a Colonoscopy without sedation after Bowel resection Op.? & if so, was it manageable?

Thanks in anticipation.

• Hi Marianne

Obviously everyone is different but I had a low anterior resection and then my second colonoscopy 18 months afterwards and I found it more painful than the first, even with sedation. I think that I have adhesions as I get a dull ache where they gave me my temporary ileostomy and I found it quite bad when they tried to get around the bend. I would def go for the sedation but obviously it is your choice. Could you get a taxi there and ask them for a reduced dose and top it up if required?  Sorry it is probably not what you want to hear, just my experience.

Nicky

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • Hi,

I had my first colonoscopy with my colostomy without sedation then a month ago 2 years after resection had my 5 year colonoscopy. I didn’t think about sedation so had driven myself there and the hospital team were surprised I didn’t want sedation but I found it fine, the endoscopy were brilliant and talked about Christmas etc with no embarrassments from either side! I know we are all different but it can be done without sedation but only you can decide unfortunately, I hope it goes well whatever you decide 

mary

• My first colonoscopy was without sedation, but only went as far as the tumour.  The second, a year after the op, was with sedation, either way seemed fine.  My wife, a Dr for over 35 years advises most people to have sedation for a full colon scope.  As for embarrassment, with post surgery catheterisation and three prostate biopsies I have zero modesty 

YNWA

Mike

• My first colonoscopy was without sedation, but only went as far as the tumour.  The second, a year after the op, was with sedation, either way seemed fine.  My wife, a Dr for over 35 years advises most people to have sedation for a full colon scope.  As for embarrassment, with post surgery catheterisation and three prostate biopsies I have zero modesty 

YNWA

Mike

• Thanks Mike, and to all the others above that responded. Yes, it's obvious that everyone will have a very different experience to others....so probably a silly question for me to have asked.

What I do find strange though is the fact that in the UK & US it is the norm. to give sedation, whereas in most parts of Europe, nearly half are without sedation, & in Finland, only 6% have it.

thanks, & best wishes.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

I've had 4 since the intial diagnosis. I've not used sedation for any other than gas.
    The last 2 times I didn't touch the gas at all, personally I felt the people performing the last 2 were much better.

I find the bowel prep the night before the worst bit!! :D

Ray

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Marianne26

Apparently in Australia they go the whole hog and put them out completely, my brother says he's never experienced any problems because the first thing he remembers is being woken up and asked if he would like tea and biscuits.

I remember each one of mine quite clearly even though I had 'sedation' I can even remember the disapproving tone of some of the staff if things didn't go to plan, it seems that my bowel used to like tight corners.

Deadmeat

• I had mine done under full general privately.....mind you......one time I was put out for removal of ovarian cyst and ablation of endometriosis...and had a smear test done at the same time as I had never had one in my life and I was 45......when I woke up......no ovarian cyst but instead a large fibroid which required removal in a further operation......I wouldn't be able to have a colonoscopy without full sedation....I have had midazolam and it felt like a full general. You wake up with no memory of what happened....but they can talk to you and you can answer, but you can't remember a single thing!!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Knowledgeispower20

Yes I had midazolam and all it seemed to do was make me feel warm, I can remember every minute of the colonoscopy, particularly the bit where they couldn't persuade it to turn around the corner with out me shifting from my side to my back. And unfortunately I can also clearly remember the first one I had over 10 years ago when the endoscopist was in a foul mood because it was all running 2 hours late and he took it out on me by withholding drugs, that really hurt, I was amazed he didn't perforate anything. Few months later they sacked him because he did that time.

D

• I have had 3 colonoscopies in 2 different hospitals in Thailand recently. In each case, lightly sedated and literally didn't feel a thing. Last time I woke 2 minutes after I lay on my side on the op. 'bed' wondering when they would start. In fact it was an hour later and I was in recovery room 

I post this so others don't hesitate to have a colonoscopy. It's a trivial and vital life saving part of this journey.

So if it's suggested for you, go for it without any apprehension.