Liver & Colon Operation

• 1 reply
  • 98 subscribers

My husband has stage 4 colon cancer which had spread to his liver and other parts. After 12 rounds of chemo, he has responded positively and has surgery due to have two thirds of his colon removed and liver tumours removed as well.

I am unsure what to expect during his hospital stay and after his release.

Anybody who has gone through these operations and has any suggestions? I am going out of my mind with worry since it is an open operation and seems pretty invasive.

Kindly share your experiences and what I can expect 

• Hi  

Totally understandable. The unknown is hard . Is he having both procedures at once ? 
    My mum had a bowel and liver resection at the same time . It partly depends on the colon tumour location. My mum had a left side ascending tumour and was able to reconnect right away . The following year she had a liver resection on its own and she definitely found the bowel a bit tricky to start up again compared to the recovery from the liver resection .

It also depends on the type of surgery . My mum had open surgery so healing was slower but if he is having keyhole it may be an easier recovery . 

My mum was 67 , was in hospital for 11 days . Went to High Dependency for a few days initially but was quickly transferred to a surgical ward . 
    A few weeks after she returned home she turned a corner and her bowel really settled quickly and never had any real issues with it .

She had a bigger surgery for her liver the following year and it remained clear till she died 15 years later .

I wish him every success .

Ask whatever you like . It helps to ease the anxiety.

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000