Diagnosed with colon Mucinous AdenoCarcinoma

• 6 replies
  • 98 subscribers

My gynae consultant rang to give me my diagnosis following the biopsy on my omental metastases taken last week.

The consultant Radiologist  who did the biopsy said it was so painful because the metastases are resting on my spinal nerves.He said I have many metastases to my abdomen.

The tumour is 28 cm now 

The diagnosis from histology is a very rare form of colon cancer know as  MAC ( Mucinous Adeno - Carcinoma ) apparently this cancer is very aggressive and the cells are very undifferentiated and have multiplied fast. 

The prognosis is very poor.

12 - 18 months to live. 

It's not cureable and it will come back if treated.

They've passed me over to a Colorectal Consultant who will be in contact after their MDT tomorrow, I also  have an appointment for the 19/08 with an  Oncologist to discuss treatment options.

I expected the worst but am utterly devastated.

I'm 68 and I thought I would have another 10 years or more. 

• Hi ,

I'm so sorry to hear this, but keep hopeful - tomorrow might be the day they find something new that can help. 

The treatment options could help lots.  I'm not an expert having only being diagnosed with a standard bowel cancer this year, but I just wanted to let you know I was sending good wishes your way.

Best wishes

Cerysm

• I wanted to send you very best wishes Cheekat. I’m sorry you are in this situation and I hope you get the best care. As Cerysm said, there are treatment advances which offer hope. Mainly I wanted to say you are not alone and to send good wishes.

• Thank you... I'm not feeling optimistic 

• I've. Just  had a call from Colorectal Consultant to say that they are not in total agreement that the primary tumour comes from the colon and to this end they are a booking an urgent colonoscopy.

She said that there is no constriction of the colon seen on CT,   and nothing causing a blockage other than the lump which is 17.5 × 15.5cm ( smaller than I was last told by the Consultant Radiologist ), possibly pressing on the bowel. 

She also said the biopsy samples are very poor and histology need better ones ! They can't be 100% sure they are adenocarcinoma. 

She said if the colon has no polyps and appears clear and disease free, they will have to take biopsies from the metastases again.

I said I won't have that done again as it was agony.

I discussed today with a MacMillian nurse and she suggested that this biopsy could be achieved by an exploratory surgery.

So will suggest that as alternative to painful biopsy.

Really I am quite pleased that there is some doubt over organ of origin and the fact that they are finally getting around to do what they should have done months ago.

I am now at ten weeks from discovery of the lump and any accurate diagnosis.

Back to the beginning again!

Makes me wonder how all the delay will affect the progression of the cancer.

• Had colonoscopy and gastroscopy and all is totally  clear .

Endoscopist also checked my appendix and into the small intestine and all clean and as clear as a whistle.

PET- CT scan next on 23/08 in search for primary cancer organ.

Will be 12 weeks since I started on Suspected Cancer Pathway - appalling delays.

• So frustrating and difficult for you  

Wish there was a way to help .

Hope the pet scan comes up with something soon for you .

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000