Feedback please on capox!! 5 day radiation and four cycles of chemotherapy.

• 22 replies
  • 103 subscribers

Morning everyone! 
My husband has a tumor in the low rectum.. Chemotherapy is needed to shrink the tumor before surgery.  He has had radiation for a week,  and started cycle two of chemotherapy on Friday past.  Four cycles are needed. Is There anyone who can share their experience on this journey… I know side effects peak from radiation at two weeks but what about the capox?  Does every cycle get more intense? I keep looking for side effects and worrying it’s not working … I am aware it takes time.  I suppose what I am asking is has anyone had little side effects from capox but still achieved results? Thanks Pray tone2 x

• Hi Jane, I'm in the same boat as your husband but a few weeks behind with the treatment. I also had a week of radiotherapy and will require 4 cycles of capox. It's reassuring to hear so many are doing well with the side effects. I will also require surgery  and have been told it will be 3-4 weeks after the end of chemo, to allow the body to recover, but I suppose that can vary from area to area. Take care x

• Thank you for your reply.  I wish you all the best on your journey.  We are in Scotland and I think getting a hospital bed might be a mission on its own.  Take care and if you have any questions feel free to send me a message. Big Hugging xx

• Hi Jane1982. I am in the same boat as your husband. Started my first chemo on Friday. I just wondered how he is doing now and did he have any pain in his arm following the IV - it’s the thing that’s driving me insane. Also in Scotland and keen to know how quickly the surgery takes place after. Thinking of you both. 

• I would definitely recommend a heat pad/hot water bottle on the arm they are using for the IV during the treatment. My husband started to get pain in his arm on the 2nd and 3rd cycle so we took some heat pads last time and he says it definitely reduced the level of pain and tingling and also how long it lasted. Also he wears an “arm sock” (not sure what they’re actually called but it looks like a leg warmer with no foot bit) for a few days after treatment which also seems to help. X

• Hi, My husband is still doing well at the moment.  However he was due to start cycle 3 a week past Friday but his bloods were low.  He said it weird as that was the best he had felt but the bloods were 1.45 and they need to be 1.5. His bloods were in range yesterday so he starts cycle 3 tomorrow.  We were due to see the oncologist on the 24th of September but that’s probably going to be delayed now.  My husband wasn’t offered a pic line… he has a cannula and has no problems.  I think it’s because my husband treatment is over two hospitals… chemo is give at our local hospital where I believe city hospitals might be different.  His radiation was in the city and his oncologist is based there.  Only advise I can give is try to take your mind off it … take a book or something to watch as hubby finds that passes the time .  I will keep you posted on the surgery time line or if you have any other questions feel free to email me.  Stay positive! Big Hugging

• Thanks so much for the quick response. I will look into an arm sock. The constant pins and needles are driving me crazy although it def has eased off a bit since IV on Friday. One down 3 to go is the only way I am managing this. Cx 

• Thanks so much. Not one for forums but never thought I’d be in this position! Hadn’t really given thought to treatment being delayed hope he’s doing ok and it didn’t knock him too much. Would be great to hear his progress as a guide. Cx 

• We are exactly the same … even the doctors keep saying he’s fit and healthy…. It’s all been a big shock.  We are just trying to focus on todays treatment and not to think in front to much.  It’s a rollercoaster. X

• Hi, I have just finished my first round of capox and yes my chemo arm was pretty sore too. It did ease with every day though. I will ask for the heatpad when my next round starts on Monday. With regards to the surgery, I'm in Fife and the surgeon told me it would take place 3-4 weeks after I had completed my 4 rounds of chemo. It may be longer waiting in the bigger cities though.

• It’s good to know that I’m not alone. My arm is def feeling a bit better today. We are at the same stage then. Would be good to keep in touch. Cx