Feedback please on capox!! 5 day radiation and four cycles of chemotherapy.

• 22 replies
  • 102 subscribers

Morning everyone! 
My husband has a tumor in the low rectum.. Chemotherapy is needed to shrink the tumor before surgery.  He has had radiation for a week,  and started cycle two of chemotherapy on Friday past.  Four cycles are needed. Is There anyone who can share their experience on this journey… I know side effects peak from radiation at two weeks but what about the capox?  Does every cycle get more intense? I keep looking for side effects and worrying it’s not working … I am aware it takes time.  I suppose what I am asking is has anyone had little side effects from capox but still achieved results? Thanks Pray tone2 x

• Hi  

Thankfully there is no direct correlation between side effects and effectiveness as I understand it . They still rely on the scanning information as evidence of shrinkage etc .

The only treatment I have sometimes seen a side effect being connected to response is Cetuximab with the rash it creates but even then I have seen some saying it’s not totally reliable. My mum had a mild rash but very effective response . 

My mum’s initial consultant said a third have no meaningful side effects , a third mild to moderate and the other third unfortunate have a tougher time .

He is maybe just fortunate. I have seen people here struggle away with chemo and not get a good outcome .

He is maybe one of the fortunate ones .

I think we have all had these thoughts though . Grinning

Hope you are holding up ok .

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi  I managed quite well with Capox. I think my main side effect was getting a tingle when touching anything cold? Generally I felt ok in myself and carried on working part-time at my office job. I had 5 weeks chemoradiotherapy and I noticed that I stopped passing blood when I went to the toilet and my stools became thicker - after my scan I was told that the tumour had shrunk by 75%.

As Court says everyone can react differently to chemo so your hubby is maybe just one of the lucky ones? x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you for your reply.  We are just taking each day as it comes… it’s all been a shock.  Hubby is 41 and looks after himself.  I’ll keep praying Pray tone2 his side effects stay the same. Just an emotional rollercoaster at the moment… thanks x 

• Thanks for your reply… it gives me hope. Husband is the same …he only has tingling the first week… he’s still working 45hrs a week.  His blooding has stopped too…I will keep praying it stays the same. We are heading for Apr surgery so just feeling like it’s the calm before the storm.  Thanks again x 

• That’s great news that his bleeding has stopped . That’s very encouraging.

He is doing great and so are you .

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Kareno62… Hi, do mind me asking how long the rest period was between chemo and surgery.  I know everyone is different but just looking for an idea of the time scale.  Thanks … have a nice day Blush

• Hi  It was a bit different back in 2016 when I had my treatment. Chemo was given after the op but it’s now been shown to be more successful before the op. If you click on my name then my profile page will show my treatment timeline x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Jane1982. I had 4 cycles of Capox following removal of the upper part of my colon and didn't have a bad journey at all. Probably like everyone else I envisaged all sorts of side effects prior to the chemo but all I had was the tingling in the fingers when touching anything cold, some dizziness when getting up from a chair which went away after standing for a few seconds, "first bite" jaw pain (pain in the jaw on biting food - take a small first bite to combat), hot sweats which weren't overly distressing, stinging pain inside the nose and around the lips after the third cycle which disappeared after about a minute and a hoarse voice which probably lasted only a few days. 

Compared to what my mind had previously told me what it was going to be like this was a breeze! Don't listen to your mind. Concentrate on what is actually happening rather than what you think could happen. If you're at all concerned about anything ring your team or Macmillan. They're all great at putting your mind at rest and dealing with any side effects.

I hope your husband has a trouble free journey, but there's plenty of help if not. Good luck.

• Thank you so much for your reply!   It’s definitely a mental challenge… but hearing other people’s stories has made me realise.. to look at today not what tomorrow might bring… as hard as it is… but we will get there. Thanks x