Petrified...

• 5 replies
  • 99 subscribers

Hi

My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 Bowel Cancer last Friday and we are still reeling.   Treatment will start on Monday and we are petrified.   If anyone has any words of encouragement or support... I'd love to hear from you.  Feel like our whole world has come crashing round our ankles and I have no idea how this is all going to play out.

My husband also can't eat anything too solid and has lost a lot of weight, so if anyone has any suggestions of food things that's not smoothies, scrabbled egg or soup, he'd be really grateful!  Need to get as much weight on him as I can before treatment.

Sorry to sound so desperate.. but I have never been so scared in all my life and know that I have to be strong for him.. not sure how I'm going to do it.

• Welcome to the forum  . Hope we can be of some support to you and your husband . 
    It is a lot to process and totally understandable that you are both struggling with the enormity of it all . It does start to get a bit easier once the first one is over and you both become familiar with the routine and the department. 

It is still very early days . My mum has been dealing with a spread since 2009 , first to her liver then her lungs . Chemo not only stabilised her disease but gave enough shrinkage to add in other approaches .

They are always in the background working away , keeping an eye on things .

They say a stage four diagnosis is a marathon and not a sprint and I do think it sums it up well . 

Weight can be tricky during treatment .  I actually used milk shakes with my mum at the beginning as they had a big calorie load and she could slowly sip them . I used to add calories to everything , cream to mashed potatoes or some cheese etc . I had to get creative and it was a departure to normal times but it was only for a season . Custard over desserts . 

The other thing I still do for her is get her the protein yogurts . One small pot has around 20 grams of protein and an easy way to add it .

I also added complan chicken soup which I got in the health section . I think it was around 300 calories and with a slice of toast was another easy way .I know he did not want soup but it saved nagging at other times . 

It was really a case of making each mouthful count .

But it is limited.  Has he had any advice from a dietitian? This can be really helpful .

Ask a Nurse 

You can ask at the link above for further input  and our helpline staff would also be happy to help .

0808 808 0000

The other way we handled treatment was to image it getting to work and hopefully  tackling the disease . 
    Take care and feel free to ask anything .

We all understand how difficult the initial period is .

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• This is so helpful and so comforting and supportive.   Thank you so much.  

• You will do well supporting him

. You are ahead of the game getting advice.

It took me a year to even think like that . 
    The other advice I got which was very helpful was to keep your head where your body is . Not allowing it to go to the worst case scenarios  . Something I had to work hard at in the beginning. I would get up each day and say what is required of me today , not tomorrow or the next day 

But I have had 15 years practice now .

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Piccadilly,

I totally understand the shock of the situation. 

The best advice I can give is - one step at a time.  I found focusing on the next step in the treatment and not trying to think to far ahead helped me alot.

Good luck for Monday!

Best wishes

Cerysm 

• Hi  You’ve had some fab advice from Court so I just wanted to pop this link to a booklet here

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/dfsmedia/1a6f23537f7f4519bb0cf14c45b2a629/2968-source/mac13614-e04-building-up-diet.pdf

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm