Hello everyone, I’m just starting my journey

• 42 replies
  • 106 subscribers

Hello everyone, my name is Kelly, I’m 41 and I went for my colonoscopy last Sunday where I could clearly see something was not right. It is around 33 cm in which is still at the very beginning of the pipe work.  Eight biopsies were taken and I am waiting on the results. I have my CT scan on Sunday which I am not looking forward to as I hate confined spaces along with the anxiety of what’s happening.!!!! 
my mind is all over the place, and I’m not gonna lie I am freaking out. I have been reading some of the stories on here and it has helped a little. If anyone is at the same stage as me, it will be nice to have some buddies to talk to xx

• Hi Kelly,

I'm not quite at the same stage as you but I understand you feeling scared right now! 

I'm 25 and have had a positive Fit score of 100 so I am now awaiting my colonoscopy date (which has to be in over two weeks time unfortunately) and I am so scared! Not only am I scared of the colonoscopy itself but given the symptoms I have I'm scared I have cancer. Naturally, I've managed to convince myself it is and just feeling so doomy deep down. I have been borderline skin cancer and now have to really protect myself, so i just feel like my body hates me at this point as I also have a lot of other health issues! 

I wish you a speedy treatment and hope your mass is benign! 

• Hi  I’m glad reading the posts has helped and you will see that there are people at all different stages of their treatment on here.

The CT scanner is like a giant donut - reminds me of a washing machine drum for sone reason - and you lie on a slidey table. The top half of your body is outside of the scanner then they’ll ask you to hold your breath, the table will slide you further forward for 5 seconds and then back out. Your head does not go into the scanner and you can see around the room that you’re in - it’s not like an MRI which is a lot more enclosed. They will also fit a cannula and some dye will be put through. This is a weird sensation - you can taste a metallic taste in your mouth and a warm feeling in your groin like you’ve wet yourself - but you haven’t!

The CT scan results will be sent to your consultant and then the MDT (multi disciplinary team) will meet to decide on a treatment plan for you. Once you have a plan in place then things will honestly feel a bit better.

Macmillan do run a buddy scheme but feel free to just jump on any existing posts or start your own and we’ll be happy to help and support you through this

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/get-help/emotional-help/macmillan-buddies

Take care

Karen x

ps apologies if you’ve already seen this booklet but a lot of people find it really helpful 

bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/.../Bowel_Cancer_UK_Your_Pathway_V10.1.pdf

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  •   I think your hubby’s same age as Kelly isn’t he? x

• Yes Karen… Kelly I completely understand your emotions…the waiting and unknown is a mind game.  Feel free to message me privately anytime… our journey is infront of you… so if I can give you any advice or reassurance I will. The way you are feeling is completely normal. I know it’s harder said than done but try focusing on a day to day base.  I find keeping myself busy helps … one little step at a time.  xx Big hugs Hugging 

• Thank you so much for your message. I have just got back from my scan the dye thing was really weird, but I’m home now xx it would be really lovely to have someone to talk to because it’s very hard not to let the negative consume your thoughts xxx I hope you’re okay xx

• Hi Kelly I sent u a message… how you feeling today? Blush 

• Hi my name is Kat I’m 46 had my colonoscopy on 16 May and they found tumour located lower then yours around 13 cm from back passage. I had CT and MRI no spreads 1 lymph node seem inflamed just starting my treatment if you need to talk please contact me.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board from me. I buddied up with 2 ladies on the bowel cancer uk board when I was diagnosed in 2016 and they are 2 of my closest friends still. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone going through the same stuff as they really understand and ‘get it’. 
    Glad you’ve joined the board and I’m sure you,   and  will be able to support each other through your treatments 

Take care

Karen x

• Did you have any symptoms xx

• I hope so too xx I’m experiencing quite a lot of discomfort in the last couple of weeks which is really scaring me. My mind is working overtime to be honest.