ELAPE - lived experience

• 2 replies
  • 98 subscribers

Hiya all,

I'm newish here, moving from lurking to posting... 

I'm hoping to hear some members' lived experience of going through and then recovering from ELAPE surgery. Thanks to those of you that have posted previously about this, I've found a few threads. 

Short story: 

Was being treated for PTSD last summer, and this led to investigations into my symptoms, and a subsequent diagnosis of low rectal cancer. Six cycles of chemo were followed by five weeks of radio + chemo. Scans then showed some response to the treatment, but only partial, so the discussion now is whether I'm given ELAPE or extra-anatomical ELAPE operation. This will follow in a few weeks I guess. 

It's quite a daunting prospect. What advice could you offer about preparation for, going through, and recovering from this op please? I appreciate it will take me a while to get back to normal, though not sure what normal will actually look like. 

Many thanks, and much appreciated in advance.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. Have you put ELAPE into the search box at the top of the screen? There’s been a few posts - I’ve attached a link to 1 below.

ELAPE operation 

Some people may not still regularly check the board but if you wanted to tag someone into a post to ask a question then type @ followed by their user name (no space) and they should appear in a drop down which you can click on - this notifies them of your post.

Hope this helps

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi ATP,

I have been through a similar experience and have described the journey on my profile- link below. 

Wishing you all the best with it all 

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../superfly

Sean