ELAPE operation

• 13 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Anyone had the ELAPE  operation as I am gathering as much info about recovery times etc etc to try and help make my decision.  I am in a position where I have been given the option to have but don’t have to.  Sounds strange I know but polyp removed had cancer in it and due to low clearance margins they have said I can either monitor every three months or have. ELAPE.  I really have no idea which way to go and really could do with as much info as possible.  

thanks everyone in advance. 

•   and  can you offer any advice please? 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi there. I replied with my experience in the other thread you sent. Having read this, my op was much more necessary and I’m glad I had it. It’s definitely life changing (stoma and sewn up butt!) - but it was more than a polyp. Have you spoken to the oncologist about options and statistics? Good luck! 

• Hi Cornishluc I’m sorry you’re in this position but I’ll try and help. My hubby had this op 6 months ago due to a reoccurrence after watch and wait. I would ask your team about chemoradiotherapy and any risks associated with waiting before making any decisions. Although hubby is making good recovery he has developed a perineal hernia and needs another op to fix. It takes a long time to recover from this op and it involves plastic surgery. Having said all this he is cancer free Fingers crossed. I hope this helps Xx

• Hi thank you for your reply.  Do you mind me asking how quick the reoccurrence happened?  Hope your husband keeps making a good recovery and they sort everything for him.  I have another appointment with my team on 16th November so trying to gather as much info and put together questions to help me decide.  Xx

• Hi thanks saw reply in other post.  Only spoken with consultant/surgeon and they can’t really say how likely it is that anything has travelled maybe around 30% chance in letter sent to me states this maybe an over estimate.  This is why so difficult to decide what to do.  Thanks for your replies and support 

• Hi there, the reoccurrence happened on 1st sigmoidoscopy 3 months later. We were given the choice of Tamis as at the time the reoccurrence was high grade dysplasia. The biopsy from this came back as T3 cancer and so he was urged to have the APR op. The biopsy from the bigger op found no cancer cells but I have to add that original tumour was T3c with CRM involved. Not sure if the op was needed but no way of knowing due to risk of microscopic cancer cells. Hope this helps x

• Hi, I had the ELAPE surgery last December.  I had Rectal cancer and was a stage 3 which involved 3 lymph nodes unfortunately, I had no choice.  I had Radio/chemotherapy which took my tumour to just scar tissue.  I wasn’t given the option of watch and wait but I’m glad I wasn’t. I’ve heard so much of it coming back and it coming back with a vengeance. Of course I’m not saying this would happen to you. The Surgery itself is life changing but I didn’t fancy the alternative. I was in hospital for 8 days but was walking around after day 2. I would say walk as much as possible to help the healing. I still have wounds in my natal cleft which hasn’t healed but that’s down to the radiotherapy I had. I have a permanent colostomy bag but I now irrigate which has changed my life.  I was 46 years when I was first diagnosed. Any questions please ask away.  Best of luck to you xx

• Hi there thank you for your reply.   I think it is the whole idea of so much being removed as they said pelvic floor muscles and coccyx would be included in the removal this is what is worrying me so much as I’m really not good with any sort of procedure and this is major. I have an appointment with stoma nurses on Tuesday to information gather and the consultant in couple weeks time to discuss further and give me chance to ask more questions.  I also have severe endometriosis so I’m worried about how that will affect the operation as I have been told it is stuck to bowels etc.  did you get told not able to sit for a while just trying to work out recovery process.  Many thanks for your time and support 

• I had a pressure cushion which I sat on but I mostly led on my side for a few weeks. I know what you mean. I’m a really wimp when it comes to operations. I couldn’t look into it and what it involved before I had the operation otherwise I’m not sure I could have gone through with it. I’ll be honest I wasn’t in a lot of pain after I stopped taking any pain killers after 11 days. The stoma is not a problem and easily do able once you except it in your head.  There’s was an older lady who was 78 years old in the bed opposite me in hospital. She managed wonderfully and not once did I hear her moan about anything. I knew if she could do it, I could. I very grateful that reassured that I’ve done everything that I can to stop it coming back. Can I ask how old you are and where abouts in the country you live? I had mine done in Derby Royal and everyone couldn’t do enough to help you. Xx

• Great response - I was the same - laying down swapping sides for a couple of weeks. I was able to sit for short times while I was in hospital - as you say, walking around is absolutely the best remedy for the pain. A after a couple of weeks I walked a km and literally felt like a different person the next day. I had mine done at Sussex Royal in Brighton. Likewise - nothing was too much - it is such a big op I was treated like royalty!